Technical Manager, Enterprise Threat & Vulnerability Management and the CERT Insider Threat Center
Dawn Cappelli, CISSP, is Technical Manager of CERT’s Enterprise Threat & Vulnerability Management Team. She is founder of the Insider Threat Center at Carnegie Mellon’s Software Engineering Institute (SEI). Her teams research cyber threats; develop and conduct assessments; and provide solutions and training for preventing, detecting, and responding to illicit cyber activity. Her team members are domain experts in insider threat and incident response, and team capabilities include threat analysis and modeling; development of security metrics and assessment methodologies; and creation and delivery of training, courses, and workshops. Dawn is invited to speak at national and international venues, is adjunct professor in CMU’s Heinz College, Vice-Chair for CERT’s CSIH Certification Advisory Board, on the program committee for RSA and HICSS conferences, and was awarded the 2011 SEI Director's Office Award of Excellence.
Before joining CERT in 2001, Cappelli was the Director of Engineering for the Information Technology Development Center of the Carnegie Mellon Research Institute (CMRI). While with CMRI, she was a technical and program manager for a variety of information networking projects. These projects included the design and development of large-scale databases and Internet-based systems that adhered to data privacy and security requirements, the design and implementation of multi-organizational portals for preparation and response to Weapons of Mass Destruction and collaboration among public health department epidemiologists, and the design and development of a networked media solution for remote collaboration between teachers of children with special needs and consultants. Previously she worked in Computing Services at Carnegie Mellon University where she led several teams in the areas of web application development, database development, and networked media. Cappelli began her career at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) in the Information Technology Department at the SEI, managing development of various web and database applications, as well as managing the redesign of the SEI's website by an interdisciplinary project team. Prior to her career at CMU, Cappelli worked for Westinghouse Electric Corporation. While at Westinghouse, she designed and developed systems for nuclear power plants, including real-time graphical user interface systems for power plant operators and Computer-Aided Engineering systems for nuclear plant designers.
Publications (recent or significant)
- Cappelli, D. M., Moore, A. P., Shimeall, T. J., Trzeciak, R. F. (2006). Common Sense Guide to Prevention and Detection of Insider Threats, Version 2.1, Carnegie Mellon University/CyLab.
- Band, S. R., Cappelli, D., Fischer, L. F., Moore, A., Shaw, E., & Trzeciak, R. F. (2006). Comparing Insider IT Sabotage and Espionage: A Model-Based Analysis (Rep. No. CME/SEI-2006-TR-026). Carnegie Mellon University/Software Engineering Institute - CERT.
- Keeney, M., Kowalski, E., Cappelli, D., Moore, A., Shimeall, T., & Rogers, S. (2005). Insider Threat Study: Computer System Sabotage in Critical Infrastructure Sectors, Carnegie Mellon University/Software Engineering Institute.
- Randazzo, M. R., Keeney, M., Kowalski, E., Cappelli, D., & Moore, A. (2004). Insider Threat Study: Illicit Cyber Activity in the Banking and Finance Sector, Carnegie Mellon University/Software Engineering Institute - CERT.
- Cappelli, D., Desai, A., Moore, A., Shimeall, T., Weaver, E., & Willke, B. J. (2006). Management and Education of the Risk of Insider Threat (MERIT): System Dynamics Modeling of Computer System Sabotage, Carnegie Mellon University/Software Engineering Institute - CERT.
- CISSP (Certified Information System Security Professional), ISC2
- Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS) 2012 - Co-chair Insider Threat Mini Track and Insider Threat Symposium
- Vice Chair, SEI Computer Security Incident Handler Certification Advisory Board
- IEEE Computer Society
Software Engineering Institute Director's Office Award of Excellence - 2011