Joseph Andrew Giampapa
Senior Member of Technical Research Staff
Joseph Giampapa leads research and development efforts that leverage his expertise in autonomous agents and multi-agent systems (AAMAS), agent-based modeling and simulation (ABMS), artificial intelligence (AI), and language technologies, for the purposes of achieving understanding, control, predictability and justified confidence in the behavior of distributed, autonomous, and socio-technical computer systems. Some representative projects are:
- Development of multi-system assurance techniques and technologies for electrical power grid SCADA systems.
- Development of assurance techniques for autonomous, distributed, and non-teleoperated robotic teams.
- Development of assurance techniques for human cyber-physical systems (HCPSs).
- Analysis of heuristics for the distributed optimization of multiple objective, multiply constrained distributed entities (multi-objective DCOP)
- Analysis and development of techniques for the automatic certification of a composite information system (e.g. Edge, cloud or SOA systems)
- Design and development of automatic policy enforcement mechanisms, such as granting topic-based need-to-know privileges to access restricted information or techniques for automatically applying normative reasoning to computer-mediated human activity
Joseph Giampapa is a senior member of the technical staff at Carnegie Mellon University’s Software Engineering Institute. Prior to that, he served for over eleven years in the CMU School of Computer Science (SCS) Robotics Institute (RI), where he was a research computer scientist and project manager in the Intelligent Agents Lab. Over the course of roughly twenty sponsored research projects he investigated the following research topics:
- Principles for the architecture and design of autonomous multi-agent systems, including techniques for transitioning and interoperating with stand-alone and legacy software systems,
- Ad hoc interoperability across multi-agent system boundaries,
- Autonomous agent assistance for humans working in and across multiple normative policy environments,
- Theories of teamwork and team cooperation, including the integration of robot, agent, and person teams,
- Autonomous agent-mediated multi-level information fusion,
- Autonomous agent-mediated secure information workflows and document routing,
- Topic-based need-to-know information assurance,
- And others,
attracting investment from sponsors: Lockheed-Martin, Navy Personnel Research, Studies, and Technology (NPRST), Cyrusoft, Finmeccanica, and L3-Com.
Prior to joining the Robotics Institute, Joseph Giampapa was a researcher in the SCS Language Technologies Institute (LTI), where he developed and maintained the English language semantic analysis and automatic disambiguation components of the Catalyst multi-lingual automatic machine translation system. Catalyst is in use by Caterpillar for the automatic translation of its technical documentation from English to multiple target languages with 98 - 100% accuracy.
Before joining CMU, Joseph Giampapa designed and managed industrial software development projects for Olivetti in Milan, Italy: one was a tax evasion detection product line based on AI technologies and data mining techniques; another was a fault tolerant multi-protocol data communications gateway and message switching center for a major European commercial passenger airline.
University Teaching Experience
Electrical and Computer Engineering research seminar 18-890, Modeling and Simulating Energy Grids (MSEG), with prof. Gabriela Hug-Glanzmann, 12 and 15 credit hours and paid summer research.
Electrical and Computer Engineering research seminar 18-890, Simulation of Distributed Coordination Algorithms Overlaid on Networks (SDCAON), with prof. Radu Marculescu, 12 and 15 credit hours and paid summer research.
Thesis Referee for doctoral thesis in the program, "Ingegneria Informatica" at the Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica of the University of Rome "La Sapienza". Doctor candidate: Giuseppe Paolo Settembre. Thesis title: Multi-agent Approach to Situation Assessment.
Thesis Reader and advisor for Information Networking Institute master's student, Gregor Kronenberger. Thesis topic: The evaluation of autonomous agent team coordination protocols in wireless ad hoc networks.
Thesis Reader and advisor for Information Networking Institute master's student, Kevin C. Lee. Thesis topic: MIGSOCK II, TCP sockets for the strong mobility of network applications.
Thesis Reader and advisor for Information Networking Institute master's student, Austin Fath. Thesis topic: THISTLE, a multi-agent system for automatically resolving network interoperability problems.
Thesis Reader and advisor for Information Networking Institute master's students, Bryan Kuntz and Karthik Rajan. Thesis topic: MIGSOCK, TCP sockets for strong mobility of network applications.
Teaching Assistant for Tepper School Master of Science in Electronic Commerce (MSEC) Program 20-854.
Program Committee Member and Publication Reviewer
Program Committee Member and Reviewer for numerous academic journals, conferences, workshops, symposia and book proposals.
- 1st and 2nd International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Applications (ICTA 2011 & ICTA 2012) program commitee
- International Symposium on Distributed Computing and Artificial Intelligence 2012 (DCAI 2012) program committee
- Workshop on Agents and Multi-Agent Systems for Enterprise Integration (ZOCO 2012) program committee
- Symposium on Agent Based Modeling and Simulation (ABModSim-4) at the 21th European Meeting on Cybernetics and Systems Reserach (EMCSR 2012) program committee
- Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems Demo Session (AAMAS 2012 Demos) program committee
- Fourth International Conference on Adaptive and Self-Adaptive Systems and Applications (Adaptive 2012) program committee
- Second International Conference on Ambient Computing, Applications, Services and Technologies (AMBIENT 2012) program committee
- Collaborative Modeling and Simulation (CoMETS 2012) track within the 21st IEEE International Conference on Collaboration Technologies and Infrastructures (WETICE 2012) program committee
- 2nd International Conference on Design and Modeling in Science, Education, and Technology (DeMSET 2012) program committee
- 2012 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Intelligent Agent Technology (IAT'12) program committee
- 4th International Conference on Agents and Artificial Intelligence (ICAART 2012) international program committee
- 5th International Conference on Agents and Artificial Intelligence (ICAART 2013) international program committee
- 14th Internationla Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS 2012) program committee
- 3rd International Mulit-Conference on Complexity, Informatics and Cybernetics (IMCIC 2012) program committee
- First International Conference on Intelligent Systems and Applications (INTELLI 2012) program committee
- International Conference on Logistics, Informatics and Service Science (LISS 2012) program committee
- Fourth International Conference on Pervasive Patterns and Applications (PATTERNS 2012) program committee
- 16th World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and informatics (WMSCI 2012) program committee
- Seventh International Multi-Conference on Computing in the Global Information Technology (ICCGI 2012) program committee
- International Joint Conferences on Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (AAMAS), 2002 – 2010, program committee, 2010
- International Conference on Autonomous Agents Conferences (Agents), 2000 – 2001
- Artificial Intelligence and the Web (AIWeb), a technical conference track of AAAI, 2007
- ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Human Interaction (CHI), 2008
- International Association of Science and Technology for Development (IASTED) International Conference on Computational Intelligence (CI) program committee, 2005 – 2011
- IEEE Workshop on Collaborative Modeling and Simulation (CoMetS), program committee, 2010 - 2011
- JCAI Workshop on Cognitive Modeling of Agents and Multi-Agent Interactions (CMAMAI), 2003
- European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI) program committee, 2002
- European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC), 2007
- Working Conference on Human Factors and Computational Models in Negotiation (HuCom) program committee, 2010, reviewer for HuCom journal articles, 2010
- IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Intelligent Agent Technology (IAT) program committee, 2003 – 2011, Vice Chair, 2007
- IEEE Internet Computing (IC) magazine, 2007
- International Conference on Agents and Artificial Intelligence (ICAART) program committee, 2009 – 2011
- International Conference on Case-Based Reasoning (ICCBR), 2003
- IEEE International Conference on Semantic Computing (ICSC), 2007 – 2009
- International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS) program committee, 2004 – 2011
- IEEE International Conference on Web Services (ICWS), 2006
- International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), 2003
- International Journal of Production Economics (IJPE) Special Issue on Robust Supply Chains under Uncertainty, 2009
- International Journal of Semantic Computing (IJSC), 2008 – 2009
- International Journal on Simulation Systems Science and Technology (IJSSST), 2006 – 2007
- International Multi-Conference on Complexity, Informatics and Cybernetics (IMCIC) program committee, 2010 - 2011
- International Journal of Web Intelligence and Agent Systems (JWIAS), Journal of the Web Intelligence Consortium (WIC), 2009 – 2010
- Journal of Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (JAAMAS), 2001
- Knowledge Communication and Peer Reviewing (KCPR), book proposal reviewer, 2006
- International Workshop on Multi-Agent-Based Simulation (MABS) program committee, 2010 - 2011, post proceedings reviewer, 2010
- INSTICC International Workshop on Multi-Agent Robotic Systems (MARS) program committee, 2006
- European Conference on Case-Based Reasoning (ECCBR) Workshop on Mixed-Initiative Case-Based Reasoning (MICBR) program committee, 2002
- Oxford University Press, New York, book proposal reviewer, 2003
- IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PERCOM), 2003
- International Conference on Principles of Practice in Multi-Agent Systems (PRIMA) programcommittee, 2009 – 2011
- IJCAI Workshop on Representation, Reasoning, and Learning in Computer Games program committee, 2005
- RoboCup Symposium, 2001, 2005
- Elsevier Science of Computer Programming (SCP) journal, 2008 – 2009
- Summer Computer Simulation Conference (SCSC) program committee, 2010
- Software Engineering for Large-Scale Multi-Agent Systems (SELMAS) program committee, 2003–2004
- Member of the Evaluation Committee for two editions of the book, Software Engineering for Multi-Agent Systems, LNCS, Springer, 2003, 2005
- IEEE International Workshop on Software Patterns: Addressing Challenges (SPAC), 2007
- World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics, and Informatics (WMSCI) program committee, 2003 – 2011
Research Grant Proposal Reviewer
Grant Proposal Reviewer for scientific and commercial research and development (R&D) grand proposals that are sponsored by federal, state, and foreign governments.
- International Institute of Informatics and Systemics (IIIS), 2008
- State of Kentucky Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR) program, 2007
- State of Michigan 21st Century Jobs Fund Competition, 2006
- United States Civilian Research & Development Foundation (CRDF) First Steps to Market Grants Program, 2004
- Dutch National Science Foundation (NWO) Computer Science Open Competition, 2003
Publications (recent or significant)
- Vulnerability Assessment of AC State Estimation With Respect to False Data Injection Cyber-Attacks
Gabriela Hug-Glanzmann and Joseph Andrew Giampapa. "Vulnerability Assessment of AC State Estimation With Respect to False Data Injection Cyber-Attacks," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 1362-1370, September 2012, DOI: 10.1109/TSG.2012.2195338.
- Edge Enabled Systems
Zacharie Hall, Rick Kazman, Daniel Plakosh, Joseph Andrew Giampapa, and Kurt Wallau. Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association (AFCEA) SOLUTIONS Series George Mason University Symposium on Critical Issues in C4I, May 2010.
- An Overview of Distributed Constraint Satisfaction and Optimization
Andres Diaz Pace, Joseph Andrew Giampapa, Mark Klein, and John Goodenough. Presentation, March 2010. pp. 85.
- Katia Sycara, Timothy J. Norman, Joseph Andrew Giampapa, Martin Kollingbaum, Christopher Burnett, Daniele Masato, Mairi McCallum, and Michael H. Strub.The Computer Journal, August, 2009.
Martin Kollingbaum, Joseph Andrew Giampapa, Katia Sycara, Timothy J. Norman, Christopher Burnett, and Daniele Masato. Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2009), May, 2009.
Gita Sukthankar, Katia Sycara, Joseph Andrew Giampapa, and Christopher Burnett. Chapter in Organizations in Multi-Agent Systems, Virginia Dignum, ed., IGI-Global Handbook of Research, Information Science Reference, Hershey, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., 2009, pp. 285-313.
Katia Sycara, Robin Glinton, Bin Yu, Joseph Andrew Giampapa, Sean R. Owens, Michael Lewis, and LTC Charles Grindle. Information Fusion, Vol. 10, No. 1, January, 2009, pp. 25-50.
Joseph Andrew Giampapa, Katia Sycara, and Gita Sukthankar. Proceedings of the First International Working Conference on Human Factors and Computational Models in Negotiation (HuCom 2008), December, 2008, pp. 55-62.
Christopher Burnett, Daniele Masato, Mairi McCallum, Timothy J. Norman, Joseph Andrew Giampapa, Martin Kollingbaum, and Katia Sycara. Proceedings of the Second Annual Conference of the International Technology Alliance, September, 2008.
Gita Sukthankar, Katia Sycara, Joseph Andrew Giampapa, and Christopher Burnett. NATO Research and Technology Organisation: Human Factors and Medicine Panel Symposium (NATO HFM-142/RTO Symposium), April, 2008.
Gita Sukthankar, Katia Sycara, Joseph Andrew Giampapa, Christopher Burnett, and Alun Preece. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the International Technology Alliance in Network and Information Science, September, 2007.
Katia Sycara, Robin Glinton, Bin Yu, Joseph Andrew Giampapa, Sean R. Owens, Michael Lewis, and LTC Charles Grindle. International Journal of Information Fusion, April, 2007.
Cuihong Li, Joseph Andrew Giampapa, and Katia Sycara. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C: Special Issue on Game-theoretic Analysis and Stochastic Simulation of Negotiation Agents, Vol. 36, No. 1, January, 2006.
Joseph Andrew Giampapa, Katia Sycara, Sean R. Owens, Robin Glinton, Young-Woo Seo, Bin Yu, Charles E. Grindle, Yang Xu, and Michael Lewis. Eighth International Conference on Information Fusion, July, 2005.
- Ask for others ...
Principal Investigator of Department of Energy grant, Designing SCADA Systems for the Self-Verifiability of Their Security & Survivability, FY2011, co-PI Gabriela Hug-Glanzmann.
Principal Investigator of the Independent Research and Development (IRaD) project, Analyzing ULS System Behavior and Evolution through Agent-Based Modeling and Simulation (ABMS), March – September 2010.
SEI Research, Technology, and System Solutions (RTSS) program.
RTSS Concept Lab Steering Committee.
RTSS System of Systems Software Assurance (SoSSA) research initiative.
RTSS Ultra-Large-Scale (ULS) Systems research initiative.
- International Foundation for Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (IFAAMAS)
- Institute for Systems and Technologies of Information, Control and Communication (INSTICC)
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Association for Machine Translation in the Americas (AMTA)
- Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI)