This course is valuable for
- anyone who is responsible for or involved in the evaluation of software architectures, such as software architects, system architects, software designers, and system designers
- individuals who want to participate in SEI-authorized ATAM evaluations
Through lectures and highly interactive exercises, you will learn how to apply the ATAM to evaluate software architectures. Completion of this course prepares you to be a team member for SEI-authorized ATAM evaluations and fulfills a training requirement for the SEI's ATAM Evaluator Certificate program.
In particular, the course covers
- overview of the ATAM
- software architectures and quality attributes
- Phase I activities of the ATAM
- preparation for and activities of Phase II of the ATAM
Before registering for this course, you must
- have significant experience in designing and developing software-reliant systems
- be familiar with modern software engineering concepts
- complete the Software Architecture: Principles and Practices course, which is available as instructor-led classroom training and as eLearning
As a result of completing this course, you will understand
- the various roles of the team members and their responsibilities in an ATAM evaluation
- quality attributes and their role in software architectures
- quality attribute tradeoffs
- why architecture analysis is important
- how to execute an ATAM evaluation, in particular
- the steps of the ATAM
- the artifacts created during the evaluation
ATAM Evaluator Training is an interactive course. A significant portion of the course is dedicated to participants performing an ATAM evaluation exercise with guidance from instructors.
In addition to the lecture slides, participants receive hard copies of the ATAM Reference Guide, the document templates and surveys used to conduct an ATAM evaluation, and the book Evaluating Software Architectures: Methods and Case Studies.
The two-day classroom course meets from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (ET) in our U.S. training centers. In our non-U.S. locations, the class meets from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
The SEI can deliver this course by special arrangement at customer sites.
Download the ATAM Evaluator Training course outline.
Download our training justification letter template. This letter can be tailored to help you make a case to your manager for taking this course.
Related Certificates and Courses
This course is a requirement for our ATAM Evaluator Certificate program. In addition, it is a requirement for pursuing the SEI certification as an ATAM Leader.
SEI Training Logistics
We've gathered some key information that you'll need to know, now that you've registered for one of our courses. For other questions, please
- Contact our registration office by calling +1 412-268-7388
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have a look at our FAQs
For public courses at an SEI training center
- Your registration fee includes materials, continental breakfast, lunch, and breaks.
- Check-in and breakfast begin 1/2 hour before the course begins.
- The dress code for the course is casual/casual business attire.
- The SEI in Pittsburgh is a secure building. You'll receive a badge that must be worn visibly at all times while in the facility. For your convenience, prior to arrival, please review the SEI Security Policy for Course Attendees.
- To arrange accommodations/services for disabilities, please contact us at email@example.com) or +1 412-268-7622 at least three weeks prior to the course start date.
Software requirements for the SEI learning portal
- Operating Systems: Windows 98/NT 4.0/Windows 2000/Windows XP/Windows Vista/Mac OS X
- Browsers: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or above / Mozilla Firefox
- Configure your browser to allow pop-ups from the SEI Learning Portal (http://learning.sei.cmu.edu)
Where to stay
- We've reserved a block of rooms at the Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center, 100 Lytton Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, 15213. The hotel will hold these rooms until three weeks prior to the course.
- For reservations, please contact the hotel directly at +1 412-682-6200 and confirm that you are speaking with In-House reservations. To receive the SEI group rate or the government rate, please mention the course title and date. Please note: You must make reservations by phone in order to receive the SEI Group or Government special rates. These rates are not available when making reservations online.
- The Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center offers complimentary shuttle service to the SEI and anywhere within three miles of the hotel. For more information, please contact the hotel concierge.
- A list of additional hotel recommendations and directions can also be found at http://www.sei.cmu.edu/training/registration/travel-pittsburgh.cfm.
If you need to transfer your registration to a different SEI course
You may transfer your registration fees from one SEI course offering to another that occurs within 12 months. Just email us a request to firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX it to 412-268-7401. For a first transfer, there's no charge if you make your request no less than three weeks before the course date. Within three week, you'll be charged a $50 fee.
If you need to send a substitute to the course you registered for
If you are unable to attend the course you registered for, you may send a qualified colleague in your place for most SEI courses. To request a substitution, email email@example.com with the following information:
- Name of the original attendee
- Name/email address of substitute attendee
- Title and date of course
We'll email the substitute attendee will receive a confirmation.
If you have to cancel your registration
Email cancellation requests to SEI Course Registration at firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX to 412-268-7401.
If we have to cancel your course
If we have to cancel a course offering due to low enrollment, we'll offer you the choice of a refund of the registration fee, transfer to a different date of the same course, or transfer to a different SEI course of equal price.
Our refund policy
We'll issue a refund for
- written cancellations that we receive no less than three weeks before the course begins (less a $75.00 administrative fee)
- course cancellations that we initiate
We cannot give a refund after the course begins or for a course missed to an act of God.
Train your team
Many SEI courses can be held at your location. We're flexible on pricing and dates, and we'll work with you to tailor the course content to suit your needs. Learn more about team training in your location by calling +1 412-268-7622 or email@example.com.