This course is valuable for
- software architects and software lead designers who want to practice what they have learned in the SEI Software Architecture Curriculum
- seasoned software architects who want to get ready for a project that requires major architecture improvements
The four exercises of this two-day workshop guide you through a typical architecture-improvement cycle in a concrete project setting. You will address risks uncovered from an evaluation of an architecture using the SEI Architecture Tradeoff Analysis Method (ATAM).
In particular, the course covers
- architecture improvement planning
- peer review
- design revision based on review results
- acquisition context
Before attending this course, you must have
- successfully completed the Software Architecture: Principles and Practices and Documenting Software Architectures courses, or
- obtained an SEI waiver acknowledging equivalent software architecture knowledge. All requests for waivers must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org before the start of the course and should detail educational background and software architecture professional experience.
As a result of completing this course, you will
- gain in-depth knowledge of concepts needed to effectively improve existing architectures
- understand how to improve architecture through a defined process
- be able to analyze and plan architecture tasks
- know how to improve an existing architecture design
- understand how to conduct a scenario-based peer review
- know how to prepare architecture documentation
The Advanced Software Architecture Workshop is an interactive course. You will participate in exercises for architecture improvement planning, design, peer review, and design revision. You will receive a hard copy of the course materials, including the exercises.
In our US training centers, this two-day course meets from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm ET daily. In our international training center, this course meets 9:00am to 5:30pm (local time) daily.
The SEI can deliver this course at customer sites by special arrangement.
Download the Advanced Software Architecture Workshop course outline.
Download our training justification letter template. This letter can be tailored to help you make a case to your manager for taking this course.
Related Courses and Certificates
Because this workshop is an advanced course in software architecture practice, we want to emphasize our prerequisites.
Before registering, you should either
- complete the Software Architecture: Principles and Practices and the Documenting Software Architectures courses, or
- obtain an SEI waiver acknowledging equivalent software architecture knowledge. Send your request for a waiver to email@example.com prior to the start of the course. In your request, tell us about your educational background and software architecture professional experience.
This course is not part of our professional certificates.
SEI Training Logistics
We've gathered some key information that you'll need to know, now that you've registered for one of our courses. For other questions, please
- Contact our registration office by calling +1 412-268-7388
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have a look at our FAQs
For public courses at an SEI training center
- Your registration fee includes materials, continental breakfast, lunch, and breaks.
- Check-in and breakfast begin 1/2 hour before the course begins.
- The dress code for the course is casual/casual business attire.
- The SEI in Pittsburgh is a secure building. You'll receive a badge that must be worn visibly at all times while in the facility. For your convenience, prior to arrival, please review the SEI Security Policy for Course Attendees.
- To arrange accommodations/services for disabilities, please contact us at email@example.com) or +1 412-268-7622 at least three weeks prior to the course start date.
Software requirements for the SEI learning portal
- Operating Systems: Windows 98/NT 4.0/Windows 2000/Windows XP/Windows Vista/Mac OS X
- Browsers: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or above / Mozilla Firefox
- Configure your browser to allow pop-ups from the SEI Learning Portal (http://learning.sei.cmu.edu)
Where to stay
- We've reserved a block of rooms at the Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center, 100 Lytton Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, 15213. The hotel will hold these rooms until three weeks prior to the course.
- For reservations, please contact the hotel directly at +1 412-682-6200 and confirm that you are speaking with In-House reservations. To receive the SEI group rate or the government rate, please mention the course title and date. Please note: You must make reservations by phone in order to receive the SEI Group or Government special rates. These rates are not available when making reservations online.
- The Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center offers complimentary shuttle service to the SEI and anywhere within three miles of the hotel. For more information, please contact the hotel concierge.
- A list of additional hotel recommendations and directions can also be found at http://www.sei.cmu.edu/training/registration/travel-pittsburgh.cfm.
If you need to transfer your registration to a different SEI course
You may transfer your registration fees from one SEI course offering to another that occurs within 12 months. Just email us a request to firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX it to 412-268-7401. For a first transfer, there's no charge if you make your request no less than three weeks before the course date. Within three week, you'll be charged a $50 fee.
If you need to send a substitute to the course you registered for
If you are unable to attend the course you registered for, you may send a qualified colleague in your place for most SEI courses. To request a substitution, email email@example.com with the following information:
- Name of the original attendee
- Name/email address of substitute attendee
- Title and date of course
We'll email the substitute attendee will receive a confirmation.
If you have to cancel your registration
Email cancellation requests to SEI Course Registration at firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX to 412-268-7401.
If we have to cancel your course
If we have to cancel a course offering due to low enrollment, we'll offer you the choice of a refund of the registration fee, transfer to a different date of the same course, or transfer to a different SEI course of equal price.
Our refund policy
We'll issue a refund for
- written cancellations that we receive no less than three weeks before the course begins (less a $75.00 administrative fee)
- course cancellations that we initiate
We cannot give a refund after the course begins or for a course missed to an act of God.
Train your team
Many SEI courses can be held at your location. We're flexible on pricing and dates, and we'll work with you to tailor the course content to suit your needs. Learn more about team training in your location by calling +1 412-268-7622 or email@example.com.