This course is valuable for
- system and software architects
- project managers and IT personnel responsible for SOA implementations
- developers of service-oriented systems
In this two-day course, you will expand your knowledge of architecting, designing, securing, and testing service-oriented systems and about implementing SOA governance.
In particular, the course covers
- fundamental concepts of service-oriented architecture
- architecture and design of service-oriented systems
- SOA governance
- security considerations in service-oriented systems
- assurance in SOA environments
- future challenges for SOA adoption
Before registering for this course, you must have
- successfully completed Service-Oriented Architecture: Best Practices for Successful Adoption, or
- obtained an SEI waiver acknowledging equivalent service-oriented architecture knowledge. All requests for waivers must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org before the start of the course and should detail educational background and SOA professional experience.
As a result of completing this course, you will be able to
- explain SOA terminology and components of service-oriented systems
- understand how SOA can benefit organizations in terms of cost efficiency, leveraging legacy systems, and agility
- discuss architecture aspects of SOA design, including important quality attributes
- use quality attribute scenarios to specify quality attribute requirements
- apply five categories of design decisions
- use three approaches for the integration of service consumers and service providers
- understand and choose from SOA governance models
- apply a technique that can be used as a starting point to help your organization understand its specific SOA governance needs and navigate the available offerings
- recognize the top web-service security threats
- understand three sources for service security problems
- describe strategies for assurance in SOA environments
Advanced Topics in Service-Oriented Architecture is an interactive course. Your classmates will come from a range of government agencies and industry sectors, each bringing their unique perspective to enhance the learning process. Participants receive a copy of lecture slides and exercises.
You can expect
- group work
- hands-on examples
- individualized Q&A
The two-day classroom course meets daily from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (ET) in our US training centers. In our non-US locations, the class meets daily from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
The SEI can deliver this course at customer sites by special arrangement.
Download our training justification letter template. This letter can be tailored to help you make a case to your manager for taking this course.
Related Courses and Certificates
This course is required in our SOA Architect Professional Certificate program.
Learn Three Key Areas of Knowledge
1 Software Architecture Fundamentals
2 Service-Oriented Architecture Principles, Practices, and Tradeoffs
3 Advanced Topics in SOA: Governance, Assurance, Implementation
The course you are viewing, Advanced Topics in Service-Oriented Architecture, is part of this certificate.
SEI Training Logistics
We've gathered some key information that you'll need to know, now that you've registered for one of our courses. For other questions, please
- Contact our registration office by calling +1 412-268-7388
- Email us at email@example.com
- Have a look at our FAQs
For public courses at an SEI training center
- Your registration fee includes materials, continental breakfast, lunch, and breaks.
- Check-in and breakfast begin 1/2 hour before the course begins.
- The dress code for the course is casual/casual business attire.
- The SEI in Pittsburgh is a secure building. You'll receive a badge that must be worn visibly at all times while in the facility. For your convenience, prior to arrival, please review the SEI Security Policy for Course Attendees.
- To arrange accommodations/services for disabilities, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org) or +1 412-268-7622 at least three weeks prior to the course start date.
Software requirements for the SEI learning portal
- Operating Systems: Windows 98/NT 4.0/Windows 2000/Windows XP/Windows Vista/Mac OS X
- Browsers: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or above / Mozilla Firefox
- Configure your browser to allow pop-ups from the SEI Learning Portal (http://learning.sei.cmu.edu)
Where to stay
- We've reserved a block of rooms at the Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center, 100 Lytton Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, 15213. The hotel will hold these rooms until three weeks prior to the course.
- For reservations, please contact the hotel directly at +1 412-682-6200 and confirm that you are speaking with In-House reservations. To receive the SEI group rate or the government rate, please mention the course title and date. Please note: You must make reservations by phone in order to receive the SEI Group or Government special rates. These rates are not available when making reservations online.
- The Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center offers complimentary shuttle service to the SEI and anywhere within three miles of the hotel. For more information, please contact the hotel concierge.
- A list of additional hotel recommendations and directions can also be found at http://www.sei.cmu.edu/training/registration/travel-pittsburgh.cfm.
If you need to transfer your registration to a different SEI course
You may transfer your registration fees from one SEI course offering to another that occurs within 12 months. Just email us a request to email@example.com or FAX it to 412-268-7401. For a first transfer, there's no charge if you make your request no less than three weeks before the course date. Within three week, you'll be charged a $50 fee.
If you need to send a substitute to the course you registered for
If you are unable to attend the course you registered for, you may send a qualified colleague in your place for most SEI courses. To request a substitution, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Name of the original attendee
- Name/email address of substitute attendee
- Title and date of course
We'll email the substitute attendee will receive a confirmation.
If you have to cancel your registration
Email cancellation requests to SEI Course Registration at email@example.com or FAX to 412-268-7401.
If we have to cancel your course
If we have to cancel a course offering due to low enrollment, we'll offer you the choice of a refund of the registration fee, transfer to a different date of the same course, or transfer to a different SEI course of equal price.
Our refund policy
We'll issue a refund for
- written cancellations that we receive no less than three weeks before the course begins (less a $75.00 administrative fee)
- course cancellations that we initiate
We cannot give a refund after the course begins or for a course missed to an act of God.
Train your team
Many SEI courses can be held at your location. We're flexible on pricing and dates, and we'll work with you to tailor the course content to suit your needs. Learn more about team training in your location by calling +1 412-268-7622 or firstname.lastname@example.org.