This course is valuable for
- technical managers, managers, and software engineers who are looking for a solid overview of what SOA adoption really involves
- individuals tasked with development and deployment of service-oriented systems or with migration of legacy systems to SOA environments
- individuals who make decisions about SOA strategy and implementation
The one-day Service-Oriented Architecture: Best Practices for Successful Adoption course introduces four pillars that are necessary for SOA success.
- Strategic approach, focusing on alignment with business goals
- SOA governance
- Realistic context-based technology evaluations
- Change of mindset—a different development and implementation approach
In particular, the course addresses
- introduction to SOA
- basic concepts and roles of SOA
- web services
- basic SOA operations
- challenges for the service developer, the service consumer, and the infrastructure provider
- four pillars of SOA adoption
Completion of this course fulfills a training requirement for the SEI's SOA Architect Professional certificate program.
This course has no prerequisites. It is an entry-level course.
As a result of completing this course, you will be able to
- explain the basic concepts related to SOA and service-oriented systems
- recognize nine common misconceptions about SOA
- discuss the potentials and pitfalls of SOA adoption
- explain the importance of these keys to successful SOA adoption: SOA strategy, SOA governance, contextual technology evaluation, and a recognition of the need for a change of mindset
Service-Oriented Architecture: Best Practices for Successful Adoption is an interactive course. Your classmates will come from a range of government agencies and industry sectors, each bringing a unique perspective to enhance the learning process. Participants receive a copy of lecture slides and exercises.
You can expect
- case studies
- group work
- hands-on examples
- individualized Q&A
The one-day classroom course meets from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (ET) in our U.S. training centers. In our non-U.S. locations, the class meets from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The SEI can deliver this course at customer sites by special arrangement.
Download the Best Practices for Successful Adoption course outline.
Download our training justification letter template. This letter can be tailored to help you make a case to your manager for taking this course.
Related Courses and Certificates
This course is required in our SOA Architect Professional Certificate program.
Learn Three Key Areas of Knowledge
1 Software Architecture Fundamentals
2 Service-Oriented Architecture Principles, Practices, and Tradeoffs
The course you are viewing, Service-Oriented Architecture: Best Practices, is part of this certificate.
3 Advanced Topics in SOA: Governance, Assurance, Implementation
SEI Training Logistics
We've gathered some key information that you'll need to know, now that you've registered for one of our courses. For other questions, please
- Contact our registration office by calling +1 412-268-7388
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have a look at our FAQs
For public courses at an SEI training center
- Your registration fee includes materials, continental breakfast, lunch, and breaks.
- Check-in and breakfast begin 1/2 hour before the course begins.
- The dress code for the course is casual/casual business attire.
- The SEI in Pittsburgh is a secure building. You'll receive a badge that must be worn visibly at all times while in the facility. For your convenience, prior to arrival, please review the SEI Security Policy for Course Attendees.
- To arrange accommodations/services for disabilities, please contact us at email@example.com) or +1 412-268-7622 at least three weeks prior to the course start date.
Software requirements for the SEI learning portal
- Operating Systems: Windows 98/NT 4.0/Windows 2000/Windows XP/Windows Vista/Mac OS X
- Browsers: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or above / Mozilla Firefox
- Configure your browser to allow pop-ups from the SEI Learning Portal (http://learning.sei.cmu.edu)
Where to stay
- We've reserved a block of rooms at the Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center, 100 Lytton Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, 15213. The hotel will hold these rooms until three weeks prior to the course.
- For reservations, please contact the hotel directly at +1 412-682-6200 and confirm that you are speaking with In-House reservations. To receive the SEI group rate or the government rate, please mention the course title and date. Please note: You must make reservations by phone in order to receive the SEI Group or Government special rates. These rates are not available when making reservations online.
- The Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center offers complimentary shuttle service to the SEI and anywhere within three miles of the hotel. For more information, please contact the hotel concierge.
- A list of additional hotel recommendations and directions can also be found at http://www.sei.cmu.edu/training/registration/travel-pittsburgh.cfm.
If you need to transfer your registration to a different SEI course
You may transfer your registration fees from one SEI course offering to another that occurs within 12 months. Just email us a request to firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX it to 412-268-7401. For a first transfer, there's no charge if you make your request no less than three weeks before the course date. Within three week, you'll be charged a $50 fee.
If you need to send a substitute to the course you registered for
If you are unable to attend the course you registered for, you may send a qualified colleague in your place for most SEI courses. To request a substitution, email email@example.com with the following information:
- Name of the original attendee
- Name/email address of substitute attendee
- Title and date of course
We'll email the substitute attendee will receive a confirmation.
If you have to cancel your registration
Email cancellation requests to SEI Course Registration at firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX to 412-268-7401.
If we have to cancel your course
If we have to cancel a course offering due to low enrollment, we'll offer you the choice of a refund of the registration fee, transfer to a different date of the same course, or transfer to a different SEI course of equal price.
Our refund policy
We'll issue a refund for
- written cancellations that we receive no less than three weeks before the course begins (less a $75.00 administrative fee)
- course cancellations that we initiate
We cannot give a refund after the course begins or for a course missed to an act of God.
Train your team
Many SEI courses can be held at your location. We're flexible on pricing and dates, and we'll work with you to tailor the course content to suit your needs. Learn more about team training in your location by calling +1 412-268-7622 or email@example.com.