This course is valuable for
- software/system architects and developers who are considering options for engineering embedded real-time systems
- individuals tasked with the validation of embedded real-time system performance
- technical managers, managers, and software/system architects who are looking for a solid overview of system and software modeling
- individuals who make decisions about the development or acquisition of embedded real-time systems
The five-day course focuses on model-based engineering for embedded real-time systems through defining and documenting software and system architecture and validating system quality attributes. Through lecture and exercises, you will learn about and use the SAE AADL standard and gain an overview of other types of system and software modeling, such as MDA, SysML, and UML.
In particular, the course covers
- how model-based engineering applies to software systems for application domains
- different modeling perspectives (runtime, data view, etc.) that support quantitative analysis of typical AADL modeling constructs
- structured incremental refinement of AADL models
- modeling of software and its mapping to hardware
- modeling constructs to facilitate data analysis such as data, subprograms, and subprogram calls
- how to model multimodal systems
- how to model large-scale systems
Before attending this course, you should have
- fundamental knowledge in the areas of developing embedded real-time systems, software engineering, and architectures
- working knowledge of a programming language
- familiarity with a modeling language and the concept of abstraction
In addition, you will find that a working knowledge of the Eclipse environment is helpful.
Students must bring a personal computer equipped with Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 3, Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2, Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2, or Windows Vista (tested on Windows Vista Enterprise, Business, Home Premium, and Home Basic editions).
As a result of completing this course, you will
- apply core elements of the AADL
- appreciate the value of model-based engineering for system development in your application domain
- understand fundamental model-based engineering concepts, specifically key principles and methods
- examine alternative choices for representation and modeling
- quantitatively validate quality attributes through analysis of system architecture
Modeling System Architectures with the AADL is an interactive course. Your classmates will come from a range of government agencies and industry sectors.
You can expect group work, individual exercises and simulations, and individualized Q&A sessions. You will receive a hard copy of the course workbook and digital media containing lecture material and demonstrations.
The first four days of this five-day course meet from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (ET); day 5 meets from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
The SEI can deliver this course at customer sites by special arrangement.
Download the Modeling System Architectures Using AADL course outline.
Download our training justification letter template. This letter can be tailored to help you make a case to your manager for taking this course.
Related Courses and Certificates
This course is not part of our certificate pathways.
SEI Training Logistics
We've gathered some key information that you'll need to know, now that you've registered for one of our courses. For other questions, please
- Contact our registration office by calling +1 412-268-7388
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have a look at our FAQs
For public courses at an SEI training center
- Your registration fee includes materials, continental breakfast, lunch, and breaks.
- Check-in and breakfast begin 1/2 hour before the course begins.
- The dress code for the course is casual/casual business attire.
- The SEI in Pittsburgh is a secure building. You'll receive a badge that must be worn visibly at all times while in the facility. For your convenience, prior to arrival, please review the SEI Security Policy for Course Attendees.
- To arrange accommodations/services for disabilities, please contact us at email@example.com) or +1 412-268-7622 at least three weeks prior to the course start date.
Software requirements for the SEI learning portal
- Operating Systems: Windows 98/NT 4.0/Windows 2000/Windows XP/Windows Vista/Mac OS X
- Browsers: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or above / Mozilla Firefox
- Configure your browser to allow pop-ups from the SEI Learning Portal (http://learning.sei.cmu.edu)
Where to stay
- We've reserved a block of rooms at the Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center, 100 Lytton Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, 15213. The hotel will hold these rooms until three weeks prior to the course.
- For reservations, please contact the hotel directly at +1 412-682-6200 and confirm that you are speaking with In-House reservations. To receive the SEI group rate or the government rate, please mention the course title and date. Please note: You must make reservations by phone in order to receive the SEI Group or Government special rates. These rates are not available when making reservations online.
- The Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center offers complimentary shuttle service to the SEI and anywhere within three miles of the hotel. For more information, please contact the hotel concierge.
- A list of additional hotel recommendations and directions can also be found at http://www.sei.cmu.edu/training/registration/travel-pittsburgh.cfm.
If you need to transfer your registration to a different SEI course
You may transfer your registration fees from one SEI course offering to another that occurs within 12 months. Just email us a request to firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX it to 412-268-7401. For a first transfer, there's no charge if you make your request no less than three weeks before the course date. Within three week, you'll be charged a $50 fee.
If you need to send a substitute to the course you registered for
If you are unable to attend the course you registered for, you may send a qualified colleague in your place for most SEI courses. To request a substitution, email email@example.com with the following information:
- Name of the original attendee
- Name/email address of substitute attendee
- Title and date of course
We'll email the substitute attendee will receive a confirmation.
If you have to cancel your registration
Email cancellation requests to SEI Course Registration at firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX to 412-268-7401.
If we have to cancel your course
If we have to cancel a course offering due to low enrollment, we'll offer you the choice of a refund of the registration fee, transfer to a different date of the same course, or transfer to a different SEI course of equal price.
Our refund policy
We'll issue a refund for
- written cancellations that we receive no less than three weeks before the course begins (less a $75.00 administrative fee)
- course cancellations that we initiate
We cannot give a refund after the course begins or for a course missed to an act of God.
Train your team
Many SEI courses can be held at your location. We're flexible on pricing and dates, and we'll work with you to tailor the course content to suit your needs. Learn more about team training in your location by calling +1 412-268-7622 or email@example.com.