This is an introductory course in software architecture. The Software Architecture: Principles and Practices course is designed for professionals who design, develop, or manage the construction of software-reliant systems. It can help practicing software professionals to quickly gain insight into the latest concepts of what software architecture is and how to use it successfully.
The course is the most fundamental of the six courses in the SEI Software Architecture Curriculum. This course is based on the book Software Architecture in Practice, 3rd Edition. It is also a prerequisite for several of the courses in the Software Architecture Curriculum as well as a training requirement in each of the SEI's three software architecture certificate programs.
You will gain insight into the latest concepts about software architecture and ways to use it successfully in your development of software-reliant systems. This course emphasizes the importance of the business (or mission) context in which systems are designed and introduces participants to software architectures in a real-world setting. "Industrial-strength' case studies and course exercises illuminate the key technical and organizational issues regarding software architectures. Course sections on architecture documentation and architecture evaluation will prepare you for the curriculum's Documenting Software Architectures and Software Architecture Design and Analysis courses.
In particular, the course addresses
- what software architecture is and the value it provides
- the importance of quality attributes
- how to use, evaluate, and document software architectures
- the role of a software architect in an organization
Before registering for this course, you should have experience in the development of software-reliant systems and some familiarity with modern software engineering concepts.
As a result of completing this course, you will be able to
- understand architectures in Agile projects
- define what a software architecture is and explain why it is important
- explain the architecture influence cycle
- understand the relationship between system qualities (such as security, performance, and reliability) and software architectures
- understand software architectural patterns and tactics and their relationship to system qualities
- appreciate the importance of documenting software architecture
- explain methods for evaluating software architecture
- understand attribute-driven design
- understand ways to make architecture reuse work via software product lines for you
We deliver Software Architecture: Principles and Practices as a classroom, learner-driven, or customer-site course. Through each delivery means, you can expect case studies and hands-on examples. Classroom and onsite participants also engage in group work and have opportunity for ongoing, individualized Q&A with our instructors.
In a classroom course, your classmates will come from a range of government agencies and industry sectors, each one bringing a unique perspective to enhance the learning process. Your registration entitles you to a copy of lecture slides, exercises, and the book Software Architecture in Practice, 3rd Edition. The two-day classroom version meets from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (ET) daily.
The eLearning version is a multimedia product that you can fit into your schedule. With this version, you will receive expert instruction in a rich educational experience Your registration for this eLearning version gives you access to the multimedia content for three months. You'll need to purchase the textbook for this version.
More About This eLearning Course
The SEI can deliver this course at customer sites by special arrangement.
Download our training justification letter template. This letter can be tailored to help you make a case to your manager for taking this course.
Related Courses and Certificates
This course is the most fundamental of the six courses in the SEI Software Architecture Curriculum. As result of completing this course, you will be eligible to take any of the courses in our three professional certificate programs:
- Software Architecture Professional
- SOA Architect Professional
- ATAM Evaluator
Learn Three Key Areas of Knowledge
Learn Three Key Areas of Knowledge
1 Software Architecture Fundamentals
The course you are viewing, Software Architecture: Principles and Practices, is part of this certificate.
2 Service-Oriented Architecture Principles, Practices, and Tradeoffs
3 Advanced Topics in SOA: Governance, Assurance, Implementation
SEI Training Logistics
We've gathered some key information that you'll need to know, now that you've registered for one of our courses. For other questions, please
- Contact our registration office by calling +1 412-268-7388
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have a look at our FAQs
For public courses at an SEI training center
- Your registration fee includes materials, continental breakfast, lunch, and breaks.
- Check-in and breakfast begin 1/2 hour before the course begins.
- The dress code for the course is casual/casual business attire.
- The SEI in Pittsburgh is a secure building. You'll receive a badge that must be worn visibly at all times while in the facility. For your convenience, prior to arrival, please review the SEI Security Policy for Course Attendees.
- To arrange accommodations/services for disabilities, please contact us at email@example.com) or +1 412-268-7622 at least three weeks prior to the course start date.
Software requirements for the SEI learning portal
- Operating Systems: Windows 98/NT 4.0/Windows 2000/Windows XP/Windows Vista/Mac OS X
- Browsers: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or above / Mozilla Firefox
- Configure your browser to allow pop-ups from the SEI Learning Portal (http://learning.sei.cmu.edu)
Where to stay
- We've reserved a block of rooms at the Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center, 100 Lytton Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, 15213. The hotel will hold these rooms until three weeks prior to the course.
- For reservations, please contact the hotel directly at +1 412-682-6200 and confirm that you are speaking with In-House reservations. To receive the SEI group rate or the government rate, please mention the course title and date. Please note: You must make reservations by phone in order to receive the SEI Group or Government special rates. These rates are not available when making reservations online.
- The Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center offers complimentary shuttle service to the SEI and anywhere within three miles of the hotel. For more information, please contact the hotel concierge.
- A list of additional hotel recommendations and directions can also be found at http://www.sei.cmu.edu/training/registration/travel-pittsburgh.cfm.
If you need to transfer your registration to a different SEI course
You may transfer your registration fees from one SEI course offering to another that occurs within 12 months. Just email us a request to firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX it to 412-268-7401. For a first transfer, there's no charge if you make your request no less than three weeks before the course date. Within three week, you'll be charged a $50 fee.
If you need to send a substitute to the course you registered for
If you are unable to attend the course you registered for, you may send a qualified colleague in your place for most SEI courses. To request a substitution, email email@example.com with the following information:
- Name of the original attendee
- Name/email address of substitute attendee
- Title and date of course
We'll email the substitute attendee will receive a confirmation.
If you have to cancel your registration
Email cancellation requests to SEI Course Registration at firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX to 412-268-7401.
If we have to cancel your course
If we have to cancel a course offering due to low enrollment, we'll offer you the choice of a refund of the registration fee, transfer to a different date of the same course, or transfer to a different SEI course of equal price.
Our refund policy
We'll issue a refund for
- written cancellations that we receive no less than three weeks before the course begins (less a $75.00 administrative fee)
- course cancellations that we initiate
We cannot give a refund after the course begins or for a course missed to an act of God.
Train your team
Many SEI courses can be held at your location. We're flexible on pricing and dates, and we'll work with you to tailor the course content to suit your needs. Learn more about team training in your location by calling +1 412-268-7622 or email@example.com.