This is an introductory course in software product lines. It is designed for software engineers and technical managers who are interested in effective reuse strategies and software engineers and technical managers who are adopting or using a software product line approach.
The course is based on the book Software Product Lines: Practices and Patterns. Completion of this course fulfills a training requirement for three SEI certificate programs: Software Product Line Professional, Product Line Technical Probe (PLTP) Team Member, and PLTP Leader.
This two-day course introduces the world of software product lines and the basic concepts behind it. The course also provides an overview of the essential technical and management practices needed to succeed with software product lines, as well as case studies, guidelines, and patterns for applying product line techniques.
In particular, the course addresses
- fundamental concepts of software product lines
- the costs and benefits of using a product line approach
- essential product line activities
- software product line practice areas
- software product line practice patterns
- the SEI Product Line Technical Probe (PLTP)
- case studies of organizations that have achieved success with software product lines
- a phased approach for adopting software product lines
Before registering for this course, you must have
- experience in designing and developing software-reliant systems
- some familiarity with modern software engineering concepts and management practices
In addition, we recommend an understanding of basic software architecture concepts. You can gain this understanding by completing the Software Architecture: Principles and Practices course, which is available as instructor-led classroom training and as eLearning.
As a result of attending this course, you will be able to
- explain the essential activities involved in fielding software product lines
- understand the costs and benefits of adopting a product line approach
- apply the software engineering, technical management, and organizational management practices necessary for achieving successful software product lines
- understand product line practice patterns that aid in product line adoption
- apply a product line diagnostic method and an adoption roadmap
- understand how a product line approach can be combined with other technology and business trends
- select the product line practice patterns that best apply to your organization
- form a path to software product line adoption
We deliver Software Product Lines as a classroom, learner-driven, or customer-site course. Through each delivery means, you can expect case studies and hands-on examples. Classroom and onsite participants also engage in group work and have opportunity for ongoing, individualized Q&A with our instructors.
In a classroom course, your classmates will come from a range of government agencies and industry sectors, each one bringing a unique perspective to enhance the learning process. Your registration entitles you to a copy of lecture slides, exercises, and the book Software Product Lines: Practices and Patterns. The two-day classroom version meets from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (ET) daily.
The eLearning version is a multimedia product that you can fit into your schedule. With this version, you will receive expert instruction in a rich educational experience Your registration for this eLearning version gives you access to the multimedia content for three months. You'll need to purchase the textbook for this version.
More About This eLearning Course
The SEI can deliver this course at customer sites by special arrangement.
Download the Software Product Lines course outline.
Download our training justification letter template. This letter can be tailored to help you make a case to your manager for taking this course.
Learn Three Key Areas of Knowledge
SEI Training Logistics
We've gathered some key information that you'll need to know, now that you've registered for one of our courses. For other questions, please
- Contact our registration office by calling +1 412-268-7388
- Email us at email@example.com
- Have a look at our FAQs
For public courses at an SEI training center
- Your registration fee includes materials, continental breakfast, lunch, and breaks.
- Check-in and breakfast begin 1/2 hour before the course begins.
- The dress code for the course is casual/casual business attire.
- The SEI in Pittsburgh is a secure building. You'll receive a badge that must be worn visibly at all times while in the facility. For your convenience, prior to arrival, please review the SEI Security Policy for Course Attendees.
- To arrange accommodations/services for disabilities, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org) or +1 412-268-7622 at least three weeks prior to the course start date.
Software requirements for the SEI learning portal
- Operating Systems: Windows 98/NT 4.0/Windows 2000/Windows XP/Windows Vista/Mac OS X
- Browsers: Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or above / Mozilla Firefox
- Configure your browser to allow pop-ups from the SEI Learning Portal (http://learning.sei.cmu.edu)
Where to stay
- We've reserved a block of rooms at the Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center, 100 Lytton Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA, 15213. The hotel will hold these rooms until three weeks prior to the course.
- For reservations, please contact the hotel directly at +1 412-682-6200 and confirm that you are speaking with In-House reservations. To receive the SEI group rate or the government rate, please mention the course title and date. Please note: You must make reservations by phone in order to receive the SEI Group or Government special rates. These rates are not available when making reservations online.
- The Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center offers complimentary shuttle service to the SEI and anywhere within three miles of the hotel. For more information, please contact the hotel concierge.
- A list of additional hotel recommendations and directions can also be found at http://www.sei.cmu.edu/training/registration/travel-pittsburgh.cfm.
If you need to transfer your registration to a different SEI course
You may transfer your registration fees from one SEI course offering to another that occurs within 12 months. Just email us a request to email@example.com or FAX it to 412-268-7401. For a first transfer, there's no charge if you make your request no less than three weeks before the course date. Within three week, you'll be charged a $50 fee.
If you need to send a substitute to the course you registered for
If you are unable to attend the course you registered for, you may send a qualified colleague in your place for most SEI courses. To request a substitution, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Name of the original attendee
- Name/email address of substitute attendee
- Title and date of course
We'll email the substitute attendee will receive a confirmation.
If you have to cancel your registration
Email cancellation requests to SEI Course Registration at email@example.com or FAX to 412-268-7401.
If we have to cancel your course
If we have to cancel a course offering due to low enrollment, we'll offer you the choice of a refund of the registration fee, transfer to a different date of the same course, or transfer to a different SEI course of equal price.
Our refund policy
We'll issue a refund for
- written cancellations that we receive no less than three weeks before the course begins (less a $75.00 administrative fee)
- course cancellations that we initiate
We cannot give a refund after the course begins or for a course missed to an act of God.
Train your team
Many SEI courses can be held at your location. We're flexible on pricing and dates, and we'll work with you to tailor the course content to suit your needs. Learn more about team training in your location by calling +1 412-268-7622 or firstname.lastname@example.org.