If you need answers to these kinds of questions, you need measurement and analysis:
- How well are we meeting schedules and budgets?
- How can we help our performance improvement efforts pay off?
- How does our organization's performance compare to other organizations' performances?
- What software practices or technologies should our organization invest in and what yields can we expect?
- Has our performance really improved?
Developing and sustaining a measurement and analysis program can be divided into three primary activities:
- Planning for measurement
- Implementing your plan
- Improving and evaluating your efforts