This one-day facilitated workshop provides hands-on coaching in the implementation of the tools and techniques from the "Improve" phase of the Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control (DMAIC) Six Sigma business improvement methodology, as taught in the SEI Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma course. This just-in-time workshop helps to accelerate the "Improve" phase activity of major business improvement projects for either software process improvement or specific software product improvement. This workshop specifically helps improvement teams identify solutions using creative, out-of-the-box thinking techniques, followed by structured techniques to evaluate and select a solution from a set of alternative solutions. The workshop culminates with a measurement plan to support evaluation of a pilot of the solution, providing measurable impact of the solution to be compared to predictions made using prediction equations from the "Analysis" phase.
Who should attend?
- project managers and process managers
- software engineering process group members
- process improvement working group members
- software measurement team members
- professionals who need reliable quantitative information to guide acquiring, supporting, planning, or tracking software systems
- Six Sigma black belts, green belts, or belt candidates
- creative thinking techniques
- various decision techniques, including the analytic hierarchy process
- Pugh method for solution selection
- measurement to support comparative studies of "before" and "after" analysis of solution piloting
Successful completion of this course will enable participants to realize the major outputs of this workshop, including
- identified possible solution alternatives
- documented decision process and selection of a specific solution to implement
- measures for impact analysis of solution, possibly from a pilot of the solution
- deployment planning for full roll-out of the solution
Before registering for this workshop, participants must
- have at least one team member (change agent) who has attended the SEI Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma course
- identify an improvement leader to complete advance preparation work with the SEI facilitator
- have completed the "Define," "Measure," and "Analyze" phases of DMAIC including team charter, success criteria, key measures of performance and acceptable measurement error analysis, root cause analysis of poor performance, and quantified relationships between causal "x" factors and performance outcome variables
Participants will receive a course notebook and job aids.
This one day course meets at the following times:
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.