Designing Products and Processes Using Six Sigma
This five-day course takes a hands-on, measurement-oriented approach to product development, providing participants with a toolkit of analysis methods and leveraging industry best practices, such as the Design-for-Six-Sigma methodology of DMADV (Define, Measure, Analyze, Design, Verify). This course builds upon basic statistical concepts from the Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma course. More advanced and powerful analytical methods are introduced through short lectures and extensive hands-on practice sessions using problems traditionally faced by new product development teams. Participants learn a framework in the form of tools, methods, and practices for analyzing data to make more informed business decisions about project management (quality, schedule, and cost) and process and product performance.
Who should attend?
- Product Development Leaders (Systems, Hardware, Software)
- Members of engineering process groups, quality improvement groups, process action teams, or appraisal teams
- Industry best practices for measurement-oriented product development
- Design-for-Six-Sigma methodology of DMADV (Define, Measure, Analyze, Design, Verify)
- Basic statistical concepts and analytical methods
- Tools, methods, and practices for data analysis for project management
- implement a variety of measurement techniques to dramatically improve requirements engineering and solution selection
- use advanced measurement techniques to model uncertainty and predict cost and schedule performance
- select and implement uncertainty models and advanced statistics to anticipate, predict, understand, and test process and product quality
- understand basic process modeling and simulation concepts
- use modern design of experiments and optimization techniques for robust product design
Before registering for this course, participants must
- complete the Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma (IPPSS) course or possess equivalent knowledge approved by the SEI SEMA team. All requests for waivers of the IPPSS class must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
2 months prior to the start of the course. The request for waiver must include proof of the following for review by the SEMA team: educational background, professional development courses, and measurement and Six Sigma work experience.
Before attending this course, participants must
- install student copies of a number of software tools outlined in the pre-course student letter (statistics package, Monte Carlo simulation tool, process modeling tool, and a reliability growth modeling tool)
Students must bring a personal computer equipped with:
- Installation of the latest version of SAS JMP statistical package, Oracle Crystal Ball Professional Add-on to Microsoft Excel, and ProcessModel (purchased or free evaluation licenses; please launch each tool after installation to ensure it is fully installed and operational; check each vendor website for computer requirements)
- Installation of the latest version of a free software reliability tool called SMERFS^3( http://www.slingcode.com/smerfs/)
- Installation of the latest free evaluation 21-day license of QFD Designer (http://www.ideacore.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=111&Itemi d=90);Select download demo under "Named User"
- CD-ROM drive or USB port to receive student data files during the class
Participants will receive a course notebook with copies of the course slides.
This 5-day course meets at the following times:
Days 1-4, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (U.S. locations)
Day 5, 8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. (U.S. locations)
Days 1-4, 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. (non-U.S. locations)
Day 5, 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (non-U.S. locations)