Member of the Technical Staff
Sebastian Echeverria is a member of the Tactical Technologies Group (TTG) at the Software Solutions Division (SSD). His work and areas of interest include
- Cloud computing at the edge
- Mobile ad hoc networks
- Android development
- Software architecture
Sebastian Echeverria is a member of the technical staff at the Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie Mellon University. Echeverria has over 8 years of professional software development experience, working in the commercial software industry. His main areas of expertise include mobile computing, wireless networks, distributed systems architecture, and software development processes.
Before joining the SEI, Echeverria worked at the Los Andes University in Chile, developing internal and research-related software and teaching software engineering classes. Before that, he got his Master in Software Engineering degree from Carnegie Mellon University, and worked with the SEI for a year. Earlier, he worked as Product and Development Manager at Woodtech Measurement Systems (Chile), where he led the development of several award-winning products for the international forest and mining industries. He also worked as the main software architect at Woodtech, helping design Chilean-made wood-measurement systems that are now used in South America, Europe, and the United States. Before joining Woodtech, Echeverria had worked on collaborative e-learning, using mobile devices and other technologies to improve the learning experience for students of middle-school classes and training courses.
Publications (recent or significant)
- "Establishing Trusted Identities in Disconnected Edge Environments" - Sebastián Echeverría, Dan Klinedinst, Keegan Williams, Grace Lewis. ACEM/IEEE Symposium on Edge Computing (SEC) 2016.
- "Cyber-Foraging for Improving Survivability of Mobile Systems" - Sebastián Echeverría, Grace Lewis, James Root, Ben Bradshaw. MILCOM 2015.
- "Cloudlet-Based Cyber-Foraging in Resource-Limited Environments" (chapter) - Emerging Research in Cloud Distributed Computing Systems. March 2015.
- "On-Demand VM Provisioning for Cloudlet-Based Cyber-Foraging in Resource-Constrained Environments" - Sebastián Echeverría, James Root, Ben Bradshaw, Grace Lewis. IEEE MobiCASE 2014.
- "Tactical Cloudlets: Moving Cloud Computing to the Edge" - Grace Lewis, , Sebastián Echeverría, Soumya Simanta, Ben Bradshaw, James Root. MILCOM 2014, Track 4: System Prespectives.
- "Cloudlet-based Cyber-Foraging for Mobile Systems in Resource-Constrained Edge Environments" - Grace Lewis, Sebastián Echeverría, Soumya Simanta, Ben Bradshaw, James Root. ACM ICSE 2014.
- “A Framework for the Design and Integration of Collaborative Classroom Games” - Alejandro Echeverría, Cristian García-Campo, Miguel Nussbaum, Francisca Gil, Marco Villalta, Matías Améstica, Sebastián Echeverría. Computers & Education 57 (2011), pp. 1127-1136.
- “Collaborative Immersive Environments for the Classroom” - Alejandro Echeverría, Miguel Nussbaum, Francisca Gil, Sebastián Echeverría. ACM CHI 2010, Workshop: Next Generation HCI for Education. Atlanta, GA, USA.
Tactical Technologies Group (TTG)
- MS, Software Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University
- MS, Computer Science, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
- BS, Computer Science, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile