Performance-Driven Improvement "Define" Workshop
This one-day facilitated workshop provides hands-on coaching in the implementation of the tools and techniques from the "Define" phase of the Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control (DMAIC) Six Sigma business improvement methodology, as taught in the SEI Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma course. This just-in-time workshop will help you jump-start major business improvement projects for either software process improvement or specific software product improvement. It includes the strategic identification of improvement projects for an organization based on an alignment of business goals and objectives to the individual vital "x" improvement projects. This workshop leverages concepts in the Goal-Driven Measurement methodology but does not substitute for the SEI Goal-Driven Measurement workshop.
- project managers and process managers
- software engineering process group members
- process improvement working group members
- software measurement team members
- professionals who need reliable quantitative information to guide acquiring, supporting, planning, or tracking software systems
- Six Sigma black belts, green belts, or belt candidates
Successful completion of this course will enable participants to realize the major outputs of this workshop, including
- reconfirmation of the big "Y" business goals,
- a data-driven schematic depicting the hierarchy of subordinate little "Y" business goals and subsequent vital "x" processes to be improved for maximum performance of the big "Y" business goal
- a business case with a "burning platform" identified for each improvement project
- clearly defined and quantified voice of the customer/consumer for each vital "x" project including clearly defined improvement goals using the SIPOC process mapping and SMART goal methodology
- fully defined and documented process improvement team charters
- selected, qualified, and trained management sponsors, champions, improvement project team leaders, and team members
- a defined approach to review progress, status, and barriers to improvement projects.
- business or organization goals driving high-priority, high-impact improvement projects
- improvement goal formulation and a business case for improvement
- voice of the customer/consumer
- improvement team charters
- improvement project review methodology
Participants will receive a course notebook and job aids.
Before registering for this workshop, participants must
- be familiar with establishing a measurement infrastructure, particularly using Goal-Driven Measurement
- have at least one team member (change agent) who has attended the SEI Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma course
- have at least informally identified management support for business improvement, along with potential management sponsors who will attend the workshop
- identify an improvement leader to complete advance preparation work with the SEI facilitator
Training courses provided by the SEI are not academic courses for academic credit toward a degree. Any certificates provided are evidence of the completion of the courses and are not official academic credentials. For more information about SEI training courses, see Registration Terms and Conditions and Confidentiality of Course Records.