Performance-Driven Improvement "Analyze" Workshop
This one-day facilitated workshop provides hands-on coaching in the implementation of the tools and techniques from the "Analyze" phase of the Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control (DMAIC) Six Sigma business improvement methodology - as taught in the SEI Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma course. This workshop is intended to be a just-in-time workshop to accelerate the "Analyze" phase activity of major business improvement projects for either software process improvement or specific software product improvement. This workshop specifically helps improvement teams explore sources of variation related to key process and product measures during the journey to find the root cause(s) of poor performance. The workshop also includes more detailed process mapping to understand process behavior and outcomes and culminates with quantification of relationships of critical x factors to key outcomes using techniques such as ANOVA, various forms of Regression Analysis, Chi-Square Analysis, and Hypothesis Testing.
- project managers and process managers
- software engineering process group members
- process improvement working group members
- software measurement team members
- professionals who need reliable quantitative information to guide acquiring, supporting, planning, or tracking software systems
- Six Sigma black belts, green belts, or belt candidates
Successful completion of this course will enable participants to realize the major outputs of this workshop, including
- identified significant sources of variation to performance
- clearly documented process maps
- thorough root cause analysis of poor performance
- quantified relationships of "x" causal factors to outcome performance variables
- data exploration; sources of variation
- process mapping and behavioral analysis
- determination of root cause and contributing causal factors
- quantification of relationships between "x" causal factors and key outcome variables
- be familiar with establishing a measurement infrastructure, particularly using Goal-Driven Measurement
- have at least one team member (change agent) who has attended the SEI Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma course
- identify an improvement leader to complete advance preparation work with the SEI facilitator
- have completed the "Define" and "Measure" phases of DMAIC, including the team charter, success criteria, key measures of performance, and acceptable measurement error analysis
Relevant and recommended materials will be distributed during the workshop.
Before registering for this workshop, participants must
Training courses provided by the SEI are not academic courses for academic credit toward a degree. Any certificates provided are evidence of the completion of the courses and are not official academic credentials. For more information about SEI training courses, see Registration Terms and Conditions and Confidentiality of Course Records.