SEI-Certified Team Software Process Mentor Coach
Certification • Software Process
What Services Do SEI-Certified TSP Mentor Coaches Offer?
The SEI-Certified Team Software Process (TSP) Mentor Coach has gained sufficient experience in coaching successful TSP teams to counsel and mentor provisional coaches. The TSP Mentor Coach trains provisional coaches, guides and supports them to effectively coach TSP teams, and prepares them for their final evaluations to become SEI-Certified TSP Coaches. A Mentor Coach also acts as a trusted counselor, role model, and guide to a less experienced people or newcomers on TSP teams.
This and other TSP Coach roles are described in more detail in the TSP Coach Certification Guidebook. This guidebook explains the mentoring process required to become an SEI-Certified TSP Associate Coach, TSP Coach, or TSP Mentor Coach.
SEI-Certified TSP Mentor Coaches may apply the SEI's TSP materials only on behalf of an SEI Partner. TSP Mentor Coaches cannot use the materials to deliver TSP-based services independently or on behalf of organizations that are not licensed by CMU/SEI to use TSP materials.
Benefits of the TSP Mentor Coach Certification
After completing the certification process, participants will be entitled to refer to themselves as an SEI-Certified TSP Mentor Coach and will be listed as SEI-Certified Individuals as long as they are sponsored by an SEI Partner that has chosen to appear in the SEI Partner Directory. SEI-Certified TSP Mentor Coaches also get access to the TSP product suite materials, which include tools, training and instructions for obtaining textbooks, and process notebooks.
Term and Renewal
The TSP Mentor Coach certification is valid for a period of one year from the award date and expires the last day of the month in which it was awarded.
For details, see How to Renew Team Software Process (TSP) Credentials.
Summary of Fees
There are fees for courses and training; SEI Partner organizations pay annual support fees for certifications. Training fees are set by the SEI. For more information about fees, please contact the SEI at email@example.com.
How to Apply
1. Meet qualification criteria
Before applying to become an SEI-Certified TSP Mentor Coach, you must meet the following qualification criteria:
- be a currently qualified SEI-Certified TSP Coach in good standing.
- be an SEI-Authorized PSP Instructor.
- be sponsored by an SEI Partner for Team Software Process.
- be proficient in both spoken and written English.
- Teach or co-teach three of the courses from the TSP product suite as outlined on the SEI website; these courses must be any one PSP course and any two non-PSP courses listed in the product suite.
- Launch (or relaunch) a minimum of four different teams during the five-year period immediately preceding the mentor coach application; the launch or relaunch to postmortem cycles must total at least 52 team-weeks of coaching experience, and evidence must be available from data submissions made to the SEI.
- Complete a minimum of four TSP checkpoints and four TSP project or cycle postmortems associated with the aforementioned (re)launched teams, as evidenced with reports and actual data submitted to the SEI.
- Provide at least one of the following sets of recommendations:
- letters of recommendation to be a mentor coach from all team leaders of the aforementioned (re)launched teams and at least two of the associated team members
- Launch Participant Feedback Forms and a Launch Coach Feedback Form for each of the recommendations to be a mentor coach from all team leaders of the aforementioned (re)launched teams
2. Submit your application
Complete the application to participate in TSP Mentor Coach Training, which includes
- a completed TSP Mentor Coach application, along with all supporting documentation
- sponsorship by an SEI Partner for the TSP product suite
You will receive a confirmation email when submission is complete. A review board will evaluate your application for acceptance into the program. Should there be questions about your application, the review board will contact you for clarification.
1. Complete training and evaluation
After your candidacy has been approved, you must successfully complete TSP Mentor Coach Training. Each candidate will be evaluated during the training. In addition, candidate TSP Mentor Coaches must successfully mentor a candidate TSP Coach through the process of becoming an SEI-Certified TSP Coach as defined in the TSP Coach Mentoring Program Guidebook.
Candidates who successfully complete this step will be awarded SEI certification as a TSP Mentor Coach. Candidates who do not receive a satisfactory evaluation must repeat this step before certification is granted.
2. Receive your certification
Upon successful completion of the certification process, the SEI will grant you a four-year certification to mentor provisional TSP Coaches and recommend them for certification. You will receive access to the materials and services for TSP Coaches. You will also receive a certificate recognizing your accomplishment.
Contact us with questions about this certification at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Training courses provided by the SEI are not academic courses for academic credit toward a degree. Any certificates provided are evidence of the completion of the courses and are not official academic credentials. For more information about SEI training courses, see Registration Terms and Conditions and Confidentiality of Course Records.