« More Press Releases
Kelly Kimberland, APR
Tel: +1 412-268-4793
Reminder of the CMMI Product Suite Version 1.1 and SW-CMM Sunset Dates
PITTSBURGH, PA, July 19, 2007—This message from the Carnegie Mellon® Software Engineering Institute (SEI) is a reminder to the process improvement community about the sunset dates for the Capability Maturity Model® Integration (CMMI®) Version 1.1, Software-CMM®(SW-CMM®), and their accompanying training materials and appraisal methods.
On August 25, 2006, the SEI and the CMMI Steering Group formally released the CMMI Product Suite V1.2. Over the past year, the SEI has worked with SEI Partners, SEI-authorized SCAMPI Lead Appraisers, SEI-certified SCAMPI High Maturity Lead Appraisers, SEI-authorized CMMI instructors, and the broader process-improvement community in the transition to the updated version of CMMI. This 12-month timeframe enabled the SEI to retire training and appraisal materials, as well as provide online upgrade training to CMMI stakeholders.
Sunset Information for CMMI V1.1
Sunset of the CMMI Product Suite V1.1 was announced in December 2005.
- The announcement was updated on September 10, 2006, and is available at http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmmi/appraisals/cmmiv11-sunset-appraisal-policies.html.
- As of December 31, 2006, the SEI and its Partners ceased to deliver the Introduction to CMMI V1.1 course.
- After August 31, 2007, the following will occur:
- The SEI and its Partners will no longer deliver SCAMPI V1.1 appraisal services. SCAMPI V1.1 appraisals, with an on-site period beginning after August 31, will not be accepted by the SEI and will be considered invalid.
- SCAMPI Class A appraisals will have a three-year maximum period of validity starting from the appraisal end date.
- The SEI will only accept and recognize SCAMPI V1.2 Class A appraisals that use a CMMI V1.2 model.
- SCAMPI Class B and C appraisals must also be conducted using a CMMI V1.2 model.
With the release of the CMMI Product Suite V1.2, the SEI also released its SCAMPI High Maturity Lead Appraiser Certification. All SCAMPI V1.2 Level 4 or Level 5 appraisals must be led by an SEI-Certified SCAMPI High Maturity Lead Appraiser. To date, nearly 80 individuals have been certified, and they are identified at the SEI Partner Web Site, http://partner-directory.sei.cmu.edu/search_auth.cfm/.
Sunset Information for SW-CMM
The SW-CMM was retired on December 31, 2005.
- All SW-CMM appraisal results from CBA IPI and SCE appraisals will expire on December 31, 2007.
- After December 31, 2007, all SW-CMM ratings will be considered invalid and should not be advertised.
The CMMI V1.2 Product Suite reflects the CMMI Steering Group's response to the ever-changing needs of the process improvement community and includes improvements to the SEI appraisal program. It enables organizations and customers worldwide to provide a consistent and fair representation of their organizations’ adoption and use of CMMI.
More information about the SEI and the CMMI V1.2 Product Suite can be found on the SEI Web site at http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmmi.
# # #