Arcade Game Maker Pedagogical Product Line: Pong User Manual
The Arcade Game Maker (AGM) product line organization is producing a series of arcade games ranging from low to high obstacle count with a range of interaction effects. For more details about the products, see Arcade Game Maker Pedagogical Product Line: Scope.
This document is for game players. It describes how to install and play Pong.
Install Pong as follows:
- Unzip the distribution file.
- Provide access to the .Net runtime environment for the executable.
- Double-click the Pong icon.
The game is opened and initialized as shown in the following figure.
Initialized Pong Display
Modes of Operation
Pong has three modes of operation:
- Initialized The executable is loaded and the display is intialized.
To enter this mode, double-click the Pong icon.
- Playing Animation begins (elements move around the screen).
To enter this mode, left-click within the boundaries of the playing area.
- Paused Animation stops (all elements are stationary).
To enter this mode, hold down the left mouse button. To resume play, release the button.
Rules for Pong
This version of Pong is for one player. It has a few simple rules:
- The objective is to keep the puck in play as long as possible.
- The player keeps the puck in play by moving the mouse to control paddles at both ends of the playing field.
- The player controls one paddle (the one in the same half of the playing field as the mouse icon) at a time.
- The puck bounces off the paddle and the top and bottom sides of the playing field.
- The puck is absorbed by the left and right sides of the playing field.
Test Pong as follows:
- If you closed the game, double-click on the Pong icon.
- Left-click within the boundaries of the playing area.
- Let the puck collide into the walls.
Based on the rules, the puck is absorbed or changes direction according to the laws of physics.
- Hold down the left mouse button.
The game is paused.
- Release the left mouse button.
The game is resumed.
- On the toolbar, click Help.
Online help is displayed.
- On the toolbar, click File > Exit.
The game exits.
No advanced features are implemented in this version.