Charles B. Weinstock
Chuck Weinstock is a senior member of the technical staff in the architecture practices initiative within the Software Engineering and Acquisition Practices program at the Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie Mellon. His interests are in the area of dependable computing with a recent emphasis on assurance cases and measuring confidence.
In over 25 years at the SEI, Weinstock has worked in the areas of model-based verification, fault tolerant computing, open source software, distributed real-time systems, architecture analysis, assurance cases, confidence, and argumentation theory.
Weinstock's interest in fault tolerant computing began while he was at SRI International where he was the principle software designer and implementer of the SIFT (software implemented fault tolerance) system. Weinstock has also worked at Tartan Laboratories and Illinois Institute of Technology.
In June 2014 Weinstock (and other SRI International colleagues) received the Jean-Claude Laprie Award in Dependable Computing for his work on the SIFT system.
Publications (recent or significant)
- C. Weinstock, J. Goodenough, and A. Klein, "Measuring Assurance Case Confidence Using Baconian Probabilities," 1st International Workshop on Assurance Cases for Software-intensive Systems (ASSURE 2013) at the 35th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE2013)
- J. Goodenough, C. Weinstock, and A. Klein, "Eliminative Induction: A Basis for Arguing System Confidence," New Ideas and Emerging Results (NIER) track of the 35th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2013).
- S. Hissam, C. Weinstock, and L. Bass, "On Open and Collaborative Software Development in the DoD." 7th Annual Acquisition Research Symposium, Naval Post Graduate School's Acquisition Research Program, May 11-13, 2010, Monterey, CA
- C. Weinstock and J. Goodenough, Towards an Assurance Case Practice for Medical Devices, Technical Note, Software Engineering Institute (CMU/SEI-2009-TN-018)
- J. Goodenough, H. Lipson, and C. Weinstock, Arguing Security - Creating Security Assurance Cases, US Department of Homeland Security, Build Security In Website, 2007
- C. Weinstock and J. Goodenough, On System Scalability, Technical Note, Software Engineering Institute (CMU/SEI-2006-TN-012).
- C. Weinstock, J. Goodenough, and J. Hudak, Dependability Cases, SEI Technical Note CMU/SEI-2004-TN-016, Software Engineering Institute, 2004.
- J.H. Wensley, L. Lamport, J. Goldberg, M.W. Green, K.N. Levitt, P.M. Melliar-Smith, R.E. Shostak, C.B. Weinstock, "SIFT: The Design and Analysis of a Fault-Tolerant Computer for Aircraft Control", Proceedings of the IEEE, vol.66, no.10, 1978, pp.1240-1255.
- IEEE TC on Dependable Computing and Fault Tolerance
- IFIP Working Group 10.4 on Dependable Computing and Fault Tolerance