In addition to my position at the Software Engineering Institute I am on the faculty of the University of Hawaii.
My primary research interests are in software architecture, software engineering economics, design and analysis tools, and software visualization. I am the author of over 150 technical papers and co-author of several books including the books Software Architecture in Practice (3rd edition appeared in 2012) and Evaluating Software Architectures: Methods and Case Studies.
According to Google Scholar my books and papers have been cited over 15,000 times.
Publications (recent or significant)
- L. Bass, P. Clements, R. Kazman, Software Architecture in Practice, (3rd edition), Addison-Wesley, 2012.
- L. Northrop, P. Feiler, R. Gabriel, J. Goodenough, R. Linger, T. Longstaff, R. Kazman, M. Klein, D. Schmidt, K. Sullivan, and K. Wallnau, Ultra-Large-Scale Systems: The Software Challenge of the Future. Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, 2006.
- P. Clements, R. Kazman, M. Klein, Evaluating Software Architectures: Methods and Case Studies, Addison-Wesley, 2001.
Journal Papers (last 5 years)
- S. Bellomo, I. Gorton, R. Kazman, "Insights from 15 Years of ATAM Data: Towards Agile Architecture", IEEE Software, 2015, to appear.
- M. Naedele, H-M Chen, R. Kazman, Y. Cai, L. Xiao, C. Silva, "Manufacturing Execution Systems: A Vision for Managing Software Development", Journal of Systems and Software, 2015, to appear.
- M. Naedele, Y. Cai, R. Kazman, "Making the Case for a “Manufacturing Execution System” for Software Development", Communications of the ACM, 57:12, December 2014, 27-30.
- A. Eden, E. Gasparis, J. Nicholson, R. Kazman, “Automated Verification of Design Patterns: A Case Study”, Science of Computer Programming, 80, B, 2014, 211-222.
- H. Cervantes, P. 4, R. Kazman, “A Principled Way of Using Frameworks in Architectural Design”, IEEE Software, March/April 2013, 46-53.
- A. Eden, E. Gasparis, J. Nicholson, R. Kazman, “Modeling and Visualizing Object-Oriented Programs with Codecharts”, Formal Methods in System Design, 2013, 43:1, 1-28.
- R. Kazman, M. Gagliardi, W. Wood, “Scaling Up Software Architecture Analysis”, Journal of Systems and Software, 2012, 85, 1511–1519.
- N. Nunes, L. Constantine, R. Kazman, “iUCP - Estimating interactive software projects with enhanced use-case points”, IEEE Software, 2011, 28:4, 64-73.
- D. Falessi, G. Cantone, R. Kazman, P. Kruchten, “Decision-making Techniques for Software Architecture Design: A Comparative Survey”, ACM Computing Surveys, 2011, 43:4.
- H-M Chen, R. Kazman, O. Perry, "From Software Architecture Analysis to Service Engineering: An Empirical Study of Enterprise SOA Implementation", IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, April-June 2010, 3:2, 145-160.
Conference Papers (last 5 years)
- R. Kazman, Y. Cai, R. Mo, Q. Feng, L. Xiao, S. Haziyev, V. Fedak, A. Shapochka, “A Case Study in Locating the Architectural Roots of Technical Debt”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE) 2015, (Florence, Italy), May 2015.
- Y. Lee, H. In, R. Kazman, “Customer Requirements Validation Method based on Mental Models”,Proceedings of the 21st Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference, (Jeju, Korea), December 2014.
- L. Xiao, Y. Cai, R. Kazman, “Titan: A Toolset That Connects Software Architecture with Quality Analysis”, Proceedings of the 22nd ACM SIGSOFT International Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (FSE 2014), (Hong Kong), November 2014.
- L. Xiao, Y. Cai, R. Kazman, "Design Rule Spaces: A New Form of Architecture Insight", Proceedings of ICSE 2014, June 2014.
- J. Klein, S. Cohen, R. Kazman, “Common Software Platforms in System-of-Systems Architectures: The State of the Practice”, 8th Annual System of Systems Engineering Conference, (Maui, HI), June 2013.
- R. Kazman, K. Schmid, C. B. Nielsen, J. Klein, “Understanding Patterns for System of Systems Integration”, 8th Annual System of Systems Engineering Conference, (Maui, HI), June 2013.
- Y. Cai, R. Kazman, C. Jaspan, J. Aldrich, “Introducing Tool-Supported Architecture Review into Software Design Education”, Proceedings of the Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training (CSEE&T) 2013, (San Francisco, CA), May 2013.
- A. Lokhman, T. Mikkonen, I. Hammouda, R. Kazman, H-M Chen, “A Core-Periphery-Legality Architectural Style for Open Source System Development”, Proceedings of HICSS 46, (Maui, HI), January 2013.
- P. Monteiro, R. Machado, A. Lima, R. Kazman, C. Simões, P. Ribeiro, “Mapping CMMI and RUP Process Frameworks for the Context of Elaborating Software Project Proposals”, Proceedings of Software Quality Days (SWQD) 2013, (Vienna, Austria), January 2013.
- J. Ryoo, P. Laplante, R. Kazman, “Revising a Security Tactics Hierarchy through Decomposition, Reclassification, and Derivation”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Security and Reliability (SERE 2012), (Washington, D.C.), June 2012.
- R. Kazman, P. Kruchten, “Design Approaches for Taming Complexity”, Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE Systems Conference (SysCon 2012), (Vancouver, Canada), March 2012.
- F. Faniyi, R. Bahsoon, A. Evans, R. Kazman, “Evaluating Security Properties of Architectures in Unpredictable Environments: A Case for Cloud”, Proceedings of the 9th Working IEEE/IFIP Conference on Software Architecture (WICSA), (Boulder, Colorado), June 2011.
- R. Kazman, L. Bass, J. Ivers, G. Moreno, “Architecture Evaluation without an Architecture: Experience with the Smart Grid”, Proceedings of 33rd International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 33), (Honolulu, HI), May 2011.
- P. Monteiro, R. Machado, R. Kazman, C. Henriques, “Dependency Analysis between CMMI Process Areas”, 11th International Conference on Product Focused Software Development and Process Improvement (PROFES 2010), (Limerick, Ireland), June 2010.