Grace A. Lewis
Senior Member of Technical Staff - Principal Researcher
Grace A. Lewis is the deputy lead for the Advanced Mobile Systems (AMS) initiative and the principal investigator for the Edge-Enabled Tactical Systems (EETS) research team that has a number of projects related to mobile systems at the edge. Her main interests are:
- Mobile Computing
- Cloud Computing
- Software Architecture
- Service-Oriented Architecture
Grace Lewis is a senior member of the technical staff at the Software Engineering Institute at Carnegie Mellon University. Lewis has over 20 years of professional software development experience, mainly in industry. Her main areas of expertise include service-oriented architecture (SOA), cloud computing and mobile applications.
Before joining the SEI, Lewis was Chief of Systems Development for Icesi University, where she served as project manager and technical lead for the university-wide administrative systems. Other work experience includes Design and Development Engineer for the Electronics Division of Carvajal S.A. where she developed software for communication between PCs and electronic devices; developed embedded software on the microcontroller that was used on the devices; and provided technical assistance to sales personnel during on-site visits to potential and actual clients.
AT the SEI she has worked in the area of Commercial-of-the-Shelf (COTS) Based Systems, Legacy System Modernization, Systems of Systems Engineering, and Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) where she has a number of publications. Her current area of work is mobile computing in resource-constrained environments as well as the intersection betwen mobile computing and cloud computing.
Lewis has teaching experience at the graduate and undergraduate level. She is currently a member of the technical faculty and a mentor for the Master of Software Engineering program at Carnegie Mellon University.
Publications (recent or significant)
Selected External Publications
- Satyanarayanan, Mahadev; Lewis, Grace; Morris, Edwin; Simanta, Soumya; Boleng, Jeff; Ha, Kiryong. The Role of Cloudlets in Hostile Environments. IEEE Pervasive Computing. Special Issue on The Edge of The Cloud. October-December 2013. Volume 12. Number 4.
- Lewis, Grace A.; Gray, Jeff; Muccini, Henry; Nagappan, Nachiappan; Rosenblum, David; and Shihab, Emad. Report of the 2013 ICSE 1st International Workshop on Engineering Mobile -Enabled Systems (MOBS 2013). ACM Software Engineering Notes. September 2013.
- Ha, Kiryong; Pillai, Padmanabhan; Lewis, Grace; Simanta, Soumya; Clinch, Sarah; Davies, Nigel; and Satyanarayanan, Mahadev. The Impact of Mobile Multimedia Applications on Data Center Consolidation. Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E), vol., no., pp.166,176, 25-27. March 2013.
- Lewis, Grace. Role of Standards in Cloud Computing Interoperability. Proceedings of the 2013 46th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS). January 2013.
- Lewis Grace; Novakouski, Marc; and Sánchez, Enrique. A Reference Architecture for Group-Context-Aware Mobile Applications. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Mobile Computing, Applications and Services (MobiCASE 2012). October 2012.
- Simanta, Soumya; Lewis, Grace; Morris, Ed; Ha, Kiryong; and Satyanarayanan, Mahadev. A Reference Architecture for Mobile Code Offload in Hostile Environments. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Mobile Computing, Applications and Services (MobiCASE 2012).
- Simanta, Soumya; Lewis, Grace; Morris, Ed; Ha, Kiryong; and Satyanarayanan, Mahadev. A Reference Architecture for Mobile Code Offload in Hostile Environments. Proceedings of the Joint 10th Working IEEE/IFIP Conference on Software Architecture & 6th European Conference on Software Architecture (WICSA/ECSA 2012). August 2012.
- Lewis, Grace; Morris, Ed; Simanta, Soumya; and Smith, Dennis. Service-Orientation and Systems of Systems. IEEE Software. January/February 2010.
- Lewis, Grace. Is SOA Being Pushed Beyond Its Limits? Microsoft Architecture Journal, Journal 21, 2009.
- Lewis, Grace; Morris, Edwin; Simanta, Soumya; and Wrage, Lutz. Why Standards Are Not Enough To Guarantee End-to-End Interoperability. Proceedings of the 7th IEEE International Conference on Composition-Based Software Systems (ICCBSS 2008). February 2008.
- Lewis, Grace and Smith, Dennis. Four Pillars of Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA). CrossTalk-SOA Special Edition. September 2007.
- Lewis, Grace; Morris, Edwin; Simanta, Soumya; Smith, Dennis; and Wrage, Lutz. Common Misconceptions About Service-Oriented Architecture. Proceedings of the 6th IEEE International Conference on COTS-Based Systems (ICCBSS 2007). February 2007.
- Application Virtualizaton as a Strategy for Cyber Foraging in Resource-Constrained Environments - Messinger, Dominik; and Lewis, Grace - May 2013.
- The Role of Standards in Cloud-Computing Interoperability - Lewis, Grace - October 2012.
- Cloud Computing at the Tactical Edge - Simanta, Soumya; Lewis, Grace; Morris, Ed; Ha, Kiryong; and Satyanarayanan, Mahadev - October 2012.
- Interoperabililty in the e-Government Context - Novakouski, Marc; and Lewis, Grace - January 2012.
- Best Practices for Artifact Versioning in Service-Oriented Systems - Novakouski, Marc; Lewis; Grace; Anderson, Bill; and Davenport, Jeff - January 2012.
- Proceedings of the Fourth International Workshop on a Research Agenda for Maintenance and Evolution of Service-Oriented Systems (MESOA 2010) - Lewis, Grace; Smith, Dennis; and Kontogiannis, Kostas - September 2011.
- Architecting Service-Oriented Systems - Bianco, Philip; Lewis, Grace; Merson, Paulo; and Simanta, Soumya - August 2011.
- Performance Analysis of WS-Security Mechanisms in SOAP-Based Web Services - Novakouski, Marc; Simanta, Soumya; Peterson, Gunnar; Morris, Edwin; and Lewis, Grace - November 2010.
- Emerging Technologies for Software-Reliant Systems of Systems - Lewis, Grace - September 2010.
- T-Check in System-of-Systems Technologies: Cloud Computing - Strowd, Harrison and Lewis, Grace - September 2010.
- A Research Agenda for Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA): Maintenance and Evolution of Service-Oriented Systems - Lewis, Grace; Smith, Dennis; and Kontogiannis, Kostas - March 2010.
- Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on a Research Agenda for Maintenance and Evolution of Service-Oriented Systems (MESOA 2009) - Lewis, Grace; Smith, Dennis; Chapin, Ned; and Kontogiannis, Kostas - February 2010.
- A Scenario-Based Technique for Developing SOA Technical Governance - Simanta, Soumya; Morris, Ed; Lewis, Grace A.; Balasubramaniam, Sriram; and Smith, Dennis B. - June 2009.
- Proceedings of the International Workshop on the Foundations of Service-Oriented Architecture (FSOA 2007) - Lewis, Grace and Smith, Dennis - November 2008.
- Service Level Agreements in Service-Oriented Architecture Environments - Bianco, Philip; Lewis, Grace A.; and Merson, Paulo - September 2008.
- T-Check in Technologies for Interoperability: Business Process Management in a Web Services Context - Hueppi, Fabian; Wrage, Lutz; and Lewis, Grace - September 2008.
- SMART: Analyzing the Reuse Potential of Legacy Components in a Service-Oriented Architecture Environment - Lewis, Grace; Morris, Edwin; Smith, Dennis; and Simanta, Soumya - June 2008.
- T-Checks in Technologies for Interoperability: Web Services and Security-Single Sign-On - Wrage, Lutz; Simanta, Soumya; Lewis, Grace; and Jaspan, Saul - January 2008.
- Migrating Legacy Applications: Challenges in Service Oriented Architecture and Cloud Computing Environments - Ionita, Anca; Litoiu, Marin; Lewis, Grace - IGI Global, 2013. 1-419. Web. 27 Nov. 2012. doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-2488-7
- Modernizing Legacy Systems: Software Technologies, Engineering Processes and Business Practices - Seacord, Robert; Plakosh, Daniel; and Lewis, Grace - Modernizing Legacy Systems: Software Technologies, Engineering Process and Business Practices. Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., Inc., Boston, MA, USA.(2003)
Search the library for additional publications by author
Advanced Mobile Systems (AMS) Initiative
Edge-Enabled Tactical Systems (EETS) Research Team
- MS, Software Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University
- Executive MBA, Organizational Behavior, Icesi University
- BS, Systems Engineering, Icesi University
- IEEE Technical Council on Software Engineering - Member-at-Large
- Steering Committee for COMPARCH, a federated conference series in Component-Based Software Engineering and Software Architecture
- IEEE - Senior Member
- CMU MSE Executive Committee
Current Professional Activities
- ICSOC 2014 - 12th International Conference on Service Oriented Computing - Program Committee Co-Chair - Novermber 3-6, 2014 - Paris, France
- ICSME 2014 - 30th International Conference on Software Maintenance and Evolution - Industry Track Co-Chair - September 28 - October 3, 2014 - Victoria, BC Canada
- MobileSoft 2014 - First International Conference on Mobile Software Engineering and Systems (MobileSoft 2014) - Social Media and Publicity Chair - Co-located with the 36th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2014) - June 2-3, 2014 - Hyderabad, India
Current Program Committees
- CLOUD COMPUTING 2014 - The Fifth International Conference on Cloud Computing, GRIDs, and Virtualization - May 25-29, 2014 - Venice, Italy
- PESOS 2014 - 6th International Workshop on Principles of Engineering Service-Oriented and Cloud Systems - In conjunction with ICSE 2014 - May 31 - June 7, 2014 - Hyderabad, India
- GREENS 2014 - 3rd International Workshop on Green and Sustainable Software - In conjuction with ICSE 2014 - May 31 - June 7, 2014 - Hyderabad, India
- AROSA 2014 - 4th Track on Adaptive and Reconfigurable Service-Oriented and Component-Based Applications and Architectures @ WETICE 2014 - IEEE 23rd International Conference on Enabling Technologies: Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises 2014 - June 23-25, 2014 - Parma, Italy
- EMSOS 2014 - 2nd IEEE Workshop on Engineering Mobile Service-Oriented Systems - co-located with the 2014 IEEE World Congress on Services (SERVICES 2014) - June 27 - July 2, 2014 - Anchorage, Alaska, USA
- CBSE 2014 - 17th International ACM SIGSOFT Symposium on Component-Based Software Engineering - June 30 - July 4, 2014 - Lille, France.
- WCOP 2014 - 19th International Doctoral Symposium on Components and Architecture @ COMPARCH 2014 - June 30, 2014 - Lille, France
- ICWE 2014 - Quality Aspects of Web Applications Technical Track - 14th International Conference on Web Engineering - July 1-4, 2014. Toulouse, France.
- EDOC 2014 - 18th Enterprise Computing Conference - September 1-5, 2014 - Ulm, Germany.
- CASCON 2014: Smarter Systems of Interactions - November 3-5, 2014 - Markhan, Ontario, Canada
- ICSE 2015 - 37th International Conference on Software Engineering - Software Engineering in Society (SEIS) Track - May 16-24, 2015 - Firenze, Italy
- Guest Editor - International Journal on Business Process Integration and Management (IJBPIM) -- Special Issue on "Personalized Web Tasking" - Inderscience Publishers