Senior Member of Technical Staff
Areas of interest include software architecture design, description, and evaluation, software architecture life-cycle integration, architecture-centric development, and product line practice.
Robert L. Nord is a senior member of the technical staff at the Software Engineering Institute (SEI) where he works to develop and communicate effective methods and practices for software architecture.
Prior to joining the SEI, he was a member of the software architecture program at Siemens Corporate Research (SCR), where he balanced research in software architecture with work in designing and evaluating large-scale systems. He earned a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Carnegie Mellon University.
He is a co-author of Applied Software Architecture and Documenting Software Architectures: Views and Beyond, published by Addison-Wesley and lectures on architecture-centric approaches.
Publications (recent or significant)
- Rick Kazman, Robert L. Nord, Mark Klein. A Life Cycle View of Architecture Analysis and Design Methods (CMU/SEI-2003-TN-026). Pittsburgh, PA: Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, 2003.
- Paul Clements, Felix Bachmann, Len Bass, David Garlan, James Ivers, Reed Little, Robert Nord, Judith Stafford. Documenting Software Architectures: Views and Beyond, Addison-Wesley, 2002.
- Christine Hofmeister, Robert L. Nord and Dilip Soni. Applied Software Architecture, Addison-Wesley, 2000.
- Christine Hofmeister, Robert L. Nord and Dilip Soni. "Describing Software Architecture with UML," In Proceedings of the TC2 First Working IFIP Conference on Software Architecture (WICSA1), San Anotonio, Texas, pp. 145-159, February 22-24, 1999. Patrick Donohoe (ed.), Software Architecture, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999.
- Dilip Soni, Robert L. Nord, and Christine Hofmeister. "Software Architecture in Industrial Applications," In Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Software Engineering, pages 196-207, Seattle, Washington, April 24-28, 1995. ACM Press.