Senior Member of Technical Staff
Dr. Douglass Post is the Chief Scientist of the Department of Defense (DoD) High Performance Computing Modernization Program (HPCMP). Dr. Post provides advice and consultation to the HPCMP Director on lifecycle technical management, performance measures, management processes, and other issues related to high performance computing and is part of the interface of the HPCMP to the high performance computing applications community. His current research interests include software engineering for high performance computing applications and the development of methodologies for verification and validation. He also leads the Existing Codes Analysis Team for the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency High Productivity Computing Systems Program. He is an IPA from the Carnegie Mellon University Software Engineering Institute.
Dr. Post has had over 30 years of experience developing and applying large-scale multi-physics simulations, and leading and managing simulation and design projects at the Princeton University Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL), the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) and the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL). He led the Physics Project Unit of the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) for the ITER Conceptual Design (1988-1990) and the ITER In-vessel Physics Team for the ITER Engineering Design (1993-1998). He has published over 230 refereed papers, conference papers, and books with more than 5000 citations in computational, experimental, theoretical physics and software engineering.
Publications (recent or significant)
- Computational Science Demands a New Paradigm, D. E. Post, L. G. Votta, Physics Today, 2005, 58(1): p. 35-41.
- Lessons Learned from ASCI, D. E. Post and R. P. Kendall, The International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications, 18(2004), pp. 399-416.
- ITER Physics Basis: Overview and Summary, F. W. Perkins, D. E. Post, N. A. Uckan, M. Azumi, D. J. Campbell, N. Ivanov, N. R. Sauthoff, M. Wakatani, W. M. Nevins, M. Shimada, J. Van Dam, D. Boucher, G. Cordey, A. Costley, J. Jacquinot, G. Janeschitz, S. Mirnov, V. Mukhovatov, G. Porter, S. Putvinski, M. Shimada, R. Stambaugh, M. Wakatani, J. Wesley, K. S. Putvinski, R. Stambauch, J. Wesley, K. Young, R. Aymar, Y. Shimomura, N. Fujisawa, Y. Igitkhanov, A. Kukushkin, M. Rosenbluth, Nuclear Fusion 39(1999), pp. 2137-2174.
- International Project Seeks to Develop New Energy Source, D. E. Post, Forum for Applied Research and Public Policy 13, pp. 38-42 (1998).
- Steady-State Radiative Cooling Rates For Low-Density High Temperature Plasmas, D. E. Post, R. V. Jensen, C. B. Tarter, W. H. Grasberger, and W. A. Lokke, Atomic Data and Nuclear Data Tables 20, 397-439 (1977).