Insider Threat Awareness Training
This one hour course provides a basic understanding of insider threats within an organization and what employees should be aware of in their responsibilities to protect an organization's critical assets. This course explains how your work can be affected and how you can be targeted by Insider Threats.
This training is based upon the research of the CERT Insider Threat Center of the Software Engineering Institute. The CERT Insider Threat Center has been researching this problem since 2001 in partnership with the Department of Defense, the Department of Homeland Security, the U.S. Secret Service, other federal agencies, the intelligence community, private industry, academia, and the vendor community. This training is necessary for compliance with the anticipated guidelines set forth in the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM) in accordance with Executive Order 13587.
- All Employees (Especially Those With Security Clearance)
- Senior Executives
- Insider Threat Program Team Members
- Insider Threat Program Managers
- Contractors and Subcontractors
- Suppliers and Business Partners
At the completion of the course, learners will be able to:
- Define an Insider and threats they impose to critical assets
- Recall common motivations of Malicious Insiders
- Name different types of Insider Threats
- Recognize how you can become an Unintentional Insider Threat
- Discuss impacts to your organization, the general public and national security
- Describe the consequences of being a Malicious or Unintentional Insider
- Understand how you can be targeted by a malicious individual as well as external adversaries
- Identify reportable behaviors of Malicious Insiders threats
- Identify steps you can take to protect yourself
- Be aware of actions to take if you see or suspect an Insider Threat
- Recognize resources available to you in your organization
This online course contains one hour of narrated instructional content and includes questions to confirm and reinforce your understanding of the concepts presented. Actual cases are used to demonstrate Insider Threat risk, activity, and consequence. The topics you will study are:
- Insider Threat - It may not be what you think
- What is an Insider Threat and how it affects you
- Types of Insider Threats
- Impacts of being an Insider Threat
- How to protect yourself and your organization
Learners will have one year to complete the course. Upon completing all course elements, the learner is awarded an electronic certificate of course completion.
This course is presented in the form of video instruction presented by experts from the CERT Insider Threat Center. Self-assessments following each topic presented assist with comprehension of the subject matter. Learners will also be able to access additional resources related to the subject matter and a downloadable copy of the course presentation slides.
This course has no prerequisites.System Requirements:
The CERT STEPfwd (Simulation, Training, and Exercise Platform) is a flexible, multi-media, e-learning environment that you can access anywhere, anytime. To use STEPfwd effectively, you need the following:
- Web browsers: Internet Explorer 7+ or Firefox 3+
- Adobe Flash version 10+ (for Lecture and Demo access)
- JRE Version 6+ (for lab access)
- Computer system and network settings that allow access to streaming video from internet sources
- Minimum client resolution of 1280x1024 to enable proper Video and Lab Player display
- Internet connection of 384 Kbps or greater (to sustain downloads with no more than 230 ms of latency). STEPfwd does not currently support off-line viewing or content downloads. Operating Systems: Windows 98 / NT 4.0 / Windows 2000 / Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Mac OS X
- Configure your browser to allow pop-ups from https://stepfwd.cert.org
This seven (7) hour online course provides a thorough understanding of the organizational models for an insider threat program, the necessary components to have an effective program, the key stakeholders who need to be involved in the process, and basic education on the implementation and guidance of the program. This training is based upon the...
This five (5) hour online course provides a thorough understanding of insider threat terminology, identifies different types of insider threats, teaches how to recognize both technical and behavioral indicators and outlines mitigation strategies. This training is based upon the research of the CERT Insider Threat Center of the Software Engineering...
3 - Day Course
This three day course builds upon the initial concepts presented in the prerequisite courses Insider Threat Overview: Preventing, Detecting, and Responding to Insider Threats and Building an Insider Threat Program. The course presents a process roadmap that can be followed to build the various parts of a robust Insider Threat Program. It discusses...
Training courses provided by the SEI are not academic courses for academic credit toward a degree. Any certificates provided are evidence of the completion of the courses and are not official academic credentials. For more information about SEI training courses, see Registration Terms and Conditions and Confidentiality of Course Records.