SEI-Certified Instructor for Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma
Certification • Software Process
What Services Do IPPSS Instructors Offer?
An instructor of the Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma (IPPSS) course takes a hands-on, problem-solving approach to data analysis, providing participants with a toolkit of analysis methods and leveraging industry best practices such as Six Sigma and Goal-Driven Measurement.
Benefits of the IPPSS Instructor Certification
As an SEI-Certified IPPSS Instructor, you’ll reap the rewards of professional recognition through certification, and you’ll add value to your organization. IPPSS instructors contribute standard practices to organizations by teaching others to
- explore and navigate data to understand project, process, and product behavior, relationships, and trends
- use analysis methods to remove special causes of variation and stabilize processes
- select appropriately from the data analysis methods learned in class
After completing the certification process, participants are entitled to refer to themselves as an SEI-Certified Instructor for IPPSS and are listed on the SEI website as SEI-Certified Individual as long as they are sponsored by an SEI Partner that has chosen to appear in the SEI Partner Directory.
Who Should Get This Credential?
This credential is designed for individuals who want to help organizations use measurement to make informed decisions, manage projects, and leverage industry best practices. Individuals who pursue this credential should have
- extensive experience in training, implementing, or developing measurement programs
- basic statistical and problem-solving skills, including proficiency with Minitab
Term and Renewal
There is no term limit for IPPSS Instructor certification once you are certified to teach this course. The only maintenance requirement is that you continue to be sponsored by an SEI Partner.
Summary of Fees
There are fees for courses and instructor training. SEI Partner organizations pay annual support fees for certifications. Training fees are set by the SEI. For more information about fees, please contact the SEI at email@example.com.
How to Apply
1. Meet qualification criteria.
Before applying to become an SEI-Certified IPPSS Instructor, you must meet the following qualification criteria:
- a BS or BA degree from an accredited college or university; an MS degree is desirable
- successful completion of an SEI-authorized Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma course
- successful completion of at least one college-level course in probability or statistics, or a Six Sigma Black Belt certification
Technical and Measurement Experience
- at least 10 years of overall work experience
- at least 7 years of experience in measurement activity supporting business improvement, which can include consulting with, teaching, or training organizations about implementing their measurement programs
- leadership of at least one Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control (DMAIC) project that saved an organization at least $50k
- at least 500 hours of instructional experience in delivering technical/measurement topics within the last 10 years
- presenter of at least 1 technical paper at a software engineering conference
- ability to speak fluent and clear English
2. Submit your application.
Complete the application to become an SEI-Certified Instructor for IPPSS. Your application package must include the following:
- a completed IPPSS instructor application
- a signed Code of Professional Conduct for SEI Services form
- sponsorship by an SEI Partner for Software Engineering Measurement and Analysis
You receive a confirmation email when your submission is complete. A review board evaluates your application for acceptance into the program. If there are questions about your application, the review board will contact you for clarification.
1. Complete the exercises.
Demonstrate your understanding of the methodology and concepts used in the IPPSS course by completing a set of exercises. Send your completed worksheets to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SEI personnel will evaluate your documents. If you submit below-average work, the SEI will inform you of remediation steps. If your exercises are approved, you will be invited to attend the instructor trainer course.
2. Complete the instructor training course.
In the IPPSS Instructor Training course, you must demonstrate competency in all performance objectives associated with the IPPSS course. Be prepared to deliver any of the modules from the IPPSS course and to analyze and provide feedback to solutions of the course exercises. The leaders of the instructor course will evaluate your performance using a checklist of expected competencies.
If your performance in the instructor trainer course is deficient, the SEI will either (1) recommend appropriate remedial activities that must be completed to continue with the qualification process or (2) disqualify your candidacy with no opportunity for remediation.
3. Conduct a course delivery for assessment.
Within 12 months of completing the instructor training course, you must undergo a performance assessment by the SEI while you deliver the IPPSS course to an actual class. You must demonstrate competency in all performance objectives associated with the course delivery. The SEI uses a checklist of competencies to assess your performance.
The observer provides the candidate with feedback after the observation. For observations that are unsatisfactory, the SEI provides the candidate with steps for remediation. Any additional SEI support for remedial work will be at the sponsoring SEI Partner’s expense.
The SEI will observe up to two candidates per offering, provided that the SEI is informed prior to the offering. The candidate’s sponsoring SEI Partner determines the location of the course offering and reimburses the SEI for daily effort and travel expenses when the SEI performs the observation.
4. Receive your certification.
After you successfully complete all prior steps, certification is granted by the SEI. The SEI notifies you of the results of your performance assessment within 3-4 weeks. SEI-Certified IPPSS Instructors receive a certification diploma.
Contact us with questions about this certification at email@example.com.
5 - Day Course
• Measurement & Analysis
Does your organization experience the same product and business problems repeatedly? Are you tired of process improvement projects that never produce results? Are your competitors consistently beating you to market? Do you have data but don't know what to do with it? Many process improvement projects aim for modest improvements of 1-5%. Through...
2 - Day Course
• Measurement & Analysis
Please review the prerequisites before registering below. This two-day course is for those interested in becoming SEI-Certified Instructors of the Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma (IPPSS) course. The IPPSS course introduces a method for driving improvement based on performance using a method and toolbox originating with the Six Sigma...
Training courses provided by the SEI are not academic courses for academic credit toward a degree. Any certificates provided are evidence of the completion of the courses and are not official academic credentials. For more information about SEI training courses, see Registration Terms and Conditions and Confidentiality of Course Records.